• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
holemi

Gti6 Inlet Manifold Onto S16 Engine Help

holemi

Basically ive fitted a gti6 inlet manifold onto my phase 2 405 mi16 , it runs fine but it wont tick over :angry: ... my questions are ..

On the throttle body there an L shaped pipe facing upwards , what is it and what do i do with it ??

There is a black 3 pin plug on top of the manifold , what does this connect to ??

The long thin pipe coming from the bulk head , where does this connect to ??

Finally the 2 pin yellow plug , what is this ??

Sorry if the questions seem basic and a little layman like but im a novice havin a go :D ...any pics would be helpful as ive done a search and cannot find the relevent info...

welshpug

just done this, have you fitted the Mi16 ICV?

L-shaped pipe = breather pipe.

th_PICT0065.jpg

yellow plug = throttle body heater

black 3 pin plug = MAP sensor, remove and sell on ebay, blank hole :angry:

th_PICT0096.jpg

Long thin pipe = MAP signal to ECU, I took a vac signal from the same line as the Fuel pressure regulator with a t-piece.

th_PICT0059.jpg

holemi

thanks for the help welshpug... running like a beaut now :D ..i didnt fit the map sensor pipe to the t piece B) ...

VisaGTi16v

Have you noticed any difference with it? What induction setup did you use?

welshpug

not finished yet :D unfortunately I have no benchmark other than my 405, as this engine is going straight into a 205 with the inlet fitted.

now has coolant but still waiting for an exhaust, sods law has it your call to CItuning confused them as the lad I'm doing this engine for ordered the very same decat pipe :D should hopefully have it running tomorow, if the pipe arrives B)

VisaGTi16v

Actually meant holemi as his is running and I knew yours wasnt heh but would be good to know when the 205 is done as well :angry:

Had a call from them today saying its on the way, due tomorrow, only ordered yesterday so quite good service. Must have been weird to get orders for 2 of them pratically at the same time as you say! ;)

holemi

Ive just used the same induction system , not a k&n, im not doing it for more speed than the standard model , just to get rid of the horrible flat spot at 4200 -5200 rpm that i had with my acav system ...To be honest ive not been able to take out out on the open rd to test it yet as its sorned and awaiting an mot , but with having a long drive ive been able to do limited testing of it on there ...and it seems to be a little flat as it reaches 3000 rpm , beyond that it seems ok ...

If im unhappy with it i will reverse the mod and put back the acav with new parts in due time as im not shelling out for the remap ..Mot first, then will see :lol:

Edited by holemi

welshpug

well Ive got this one running, and it still has the flat spot though at what revs I'm unsure as the rev counter isn't working yet :)

the induction note is somewhat strange, part Mi roar part GTi6 howl!!

Guest paky
Ive just used the same induction system , not a k&n, im not doing it for more speed than the standard model , just to get rid of the horrible flat spot at 4200 -5200 rpm that i had with my acav system ...To be honest ive not been able to take out out on the open rd to test it yet as its sorned and awaiting an mot , but with having a long drive ive been able to do limited testing of it on there ...and it seems to be a little flat as it reaches 3000 rpm , beyond that it seems ok ...

If im unhappy with it i will reverse the mod and put back the acav with new parts in due time as im not shelling out for the remap ..Mot first, then will see :)

for me avac is really good thing, There are only few things which could make troublles. diaphragms, el. valve, lines

mrswampy

The s16 avac is a good and underated system

but also one thats very misunderstood

it has to be set up correctly.that includes the lengths of the actuator rods

mine has a smooth and seamless change over

VisaGTi16v

Setting up correctly.......I presume by this you mean manually move the rocker things by hand to see how far they turn round before hitting the stops then fire the engine up and ensure they move the same complete distance when the actuators do it? The Haynes BOL says that they only move between 1800 and 5080 rpm iirc however the ones in both of my ZX 16v's have instantly moved when you touch the throttle ie at 1000 then in the old one at least, opened back up at 5k, not checked with the current one

welshpug

not seen any literature regarding the setup of the system bad what Darren mentioned above, and that's pre-set in the ecu.

I'm going check what RPM they open at now :P

Test bulb on the solenoid...

got a manifold off the ZX's old engine too, throttle body looks tiny!

VisaGTi16v

Literally the moment I touch the throttle mine move straight away. Only driven the car once so far but it felt ok. My old one towards the end got a bit lethargic near the red line so I wonder if by then they had stopped moving back at 5k or werent set up quite right.

A friend has had 2 of his manifolds blow up in the past on his zx 16v! I think its probably a timing issue as I presume the crank pulley suffers the same as the XU10J4RS's and turns on itself. I know he can time up ok as he is a mechanic by trade but it then went onto lunching loads of the valves and he wasnt aware of the pulley issues.

mrswampy

You cant alter the time that the diaphrams open the valves

but

the bar that connects the diaphram to the actuator arm is threaded and can be adjusted to make sure the valves open and close fully

on mine it pulls all the way to the redline in every gear with no dip in torque on the change over

though the other inlet mods i have,

ported throttle body, cut down spindle, chamferd butterfly,countersunk bolts

ported inlet,with cut down spindles,chamferd leading, countersunk screws, port matched to head

ptfe inlet gasket

3mm bore silicon vacume hoses

group a peugeot sport decat

welshpug

so from that lot the only effective mod is the decat :D

mrswampy
so from that lot the only effective mod is the decat :D

no

the decat was fitted at a different time to the rest of the parts, so i can say at each stage of change a positive effect was made

though i dont have any rr data to back it up at each stage

the group a decat by peugeot sport is very hard to get now

VisaGTi16v

Got a CiTuning one sat waiting to go on my ZX, probably made by Devil or someone as they did a number for the 306 back in the day and its the same iirc

welshpug

yup, its a Devil, nice 2 part one 2.5" bore in SS B)

mrswampy

Two part?

As in twin tube?

i wrapped mine to cut the resonance abit

Miles

Never liked them and even when I had them when new (405 & 306's) compared to the old Mi16 engine is just missed the overall punch, even thou it did go well. The TB is too small I think and when compared to the 6's it's like chalk and cheese ;) and is a mod I would recomend all day long, Plus it won;t explode like they do.

monty69

My old s16 felt like it had more torque than a gti6 up to about 5500rpm, fitting a magnex decat totally killed the mid range though. Care has to be taken adjusting the actuator rods without twisting the diaphrams. I think the reason the s16 has less power than the mi16 is exhaust manifold, and maybe throttle size. Either way i cant see any major gains without mapping the engine with mods.

calvinhorse
so from that lot the only effective mod is the decat :)

:D

so what do you recon is causing the flatspot if the 6 manifold hasnt fixed it?

Edited by calvinhorse

welshpug

IMO its just the characteristic of the engine, hopefully the engine I've installed is healthy and we can get a decent comparison when it hits the rollers soon.

Sign in to follow this