• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Moz_Goodwood

Can Brakes Be To Big?

Moz_Goodwood

ive been thinking of uprating my brakes with a set of 307 hdi's but was wandering although im going to do a gti 6 conversion in the next 6 months

in the mean time is it possible that they will be to much for a standard 309 1.9 gti? or will it mean ill just have sh!t hot brakes?

also i want to keep the speedlines on, ive read the article about the conversion and it says if you keep the standard alloys with these brakes you cant have the balancing weights inside as they'll foul, so how would you get round this?

SPGTi

Yes brakes can be too big. Do a search on this conversion and you will find lots of differing opinions.

Steve

NeilGTi85
ive been thinking of uprating my brakes with a set of 307 hdi's but was wandering although im going to do a gti 6 conversion in the next 6 months

in the mean time is it possible that they will be to much for a standard 309 1.9 gti? or will it mean ill just have sh!t hot brakes?

also i want to keep the speedlines on, ive read the article about the conversion and it says if you keep the standard alloys with these brakes you cant have the balancing weights inside as they'll foul, so how would you get round this?

Ive got GTi6 brakes on my 205 gti6 and there defently an advantage over standard item's.

If your going for a 6 conversion I would go for bigger brakes but I know some people on here who run standard brakes and say there fine with good disc's and pads.

Also I did have the problem of the wieghts hitting the caliper but they can easierly be moved to somewhere else or just do a few miles and they'll wear down :angry:

Neil

Baz

Too big, overkill, or pointless, pretty much all those reasons IMO. :angry:

Batfink

the main issue is weight. Not so much an issue if you are running expensive ap calipers and disks though but grabbing items off bigger model cars usually ends up adding a good 4-5 kg

You do notice it even if you are not David Coultard.

Personally I change my pads first to a decent compound.

If you want to stop quicker upgrade your chassis, suspension and tyres, then evaluate the capabilities of the braking system. Contrary to popular belief big brakes are mostly about heat and changing the braking feel rather than stopping in a shorter distance.

Theres lots of things to look at. Some compounds of brakepad do not compress under any load so give a constant pedal feel. Mastercylinder size also makes a massive difference to brake modulation and pedal travel.

Though remember after all this that whatever you do you cant change the co-efficient of friction between the tyre and road with a brake change :angry:

VisaGTi16v

standard light 1.6 calipers, standard pads, Mintex 1155 pads, braided hoses, standard rear drums, excellent pedal feel and I can lock the fronts even with slicks so no need for bigger and heavier :angry:

Moz_Goodwood

so the standard gti brakes should be fine with a gti 6 conversion then (will save me a bob or two) B)

as you said batfink (about tyres on the road) it dont matter how big your rubber is if it any got no friction then theres just no fun :D:angry:

Edited by Moz_Goodwood_309

craig f90

I know mine isn't 6 powered, but the 1.9 cailipers with uprated pads and discs work just fine for me. :angry:

sonofsam
I know mine isn't 6 powered, but the 1.9 cailipers with uprated pads and discs work just fine for me. :angry:

I agree, standard new 1.9 calipers, braided lines/good fluid and Mintex 1144's up front and my brakes are sh*t hot :D

Moz_Goodwood

good stuff, i take it that mintex 1144's are good then, ill have to get a set :angry:

timmsy19

those that have the mintex 1144's do you still run standard disks or have you upgraded them aswel?

sonofsam
those that have the mintex 1144's do you still run standard disks or have you upgraded them aswel?

Im on standard (motorfactor) disc's - road car btw.

Moz_Goodwood

is it true that they squeal alot?

sonofsam
is it true that they squeal alot?

Yes mine squealled like a mofo to begin with, they have calmed down alot recently though. Dont know if it's the mileage I've put on them or the weather?!

I think I remember reading about 'shims' that could be bought to alleviate the noise as the 'ol copper grease on

the back of the pad' didnt work for me.

Still, for the stopping power they give it's a small compromise I feel.

kyepan

like batfink says, make sure your dampers, springs, bushes etc are in tip top shape first, so at least you know the tyre is making best contact as often as possible, this will stop you sooner regardless of brakes. Oh and don't forget the tyre, decent tyres are essential and under 5mm of tread and wet performance degrades badly. Also I still want to understand if an LSD actually helps braking...

Now i'm not saying a good set of pads, decent fluid and braided hoses isn't a perfectly acceptible set up.

Personally though I'd had enough of rubbish brakes with my nissan pulsar and perhaps made a bit of a knee jerk reaction to the standard pads in my 1.6 setup. which is why I popped for the 283mm 307 hdi conversion and brembo ds2500 pads, you definitly notice the extra weight (5kgs per side). However the braking performance from private road speeds down to 30 ish is monstrous. Some people call this overkill, personally it seems appropriate and allows a range of driving styles. Bottom line is I want to be able to slow down as quickly as possible from any speed, again and again and again, without getting fade.

I also wanted the pads to work from cold, which my m1155 pads on the pulsar most certainly did not.. :huh: (awaits jackherher :ph34r:) we've had this conversation a few times before, and if you check the temperature range / coefficent of friction for some of the racier pads they need warming up. I don't fancy driving up the road on a cold morning and into the back of somone because i've got track pads, granted i learned to leave a big gap but it still put me off. M1144's however worked fine from cold.

hope this helps J

VisaGTi16v

On the contary my 1155s work from cold quite happily heh. I had some ebc greens and pagid pads before which did not, the pagids were absolutely lethal first use. The 1155's took a lot of bedding in, spent a while one night doing the correct sequence of hard stops with them, got to my sprint at the following weekend and they were pratically on fire with the amount of smoke coming off them after practise but after that point, perfect.....

jackherer
I also wanted the pads to work from cold, which my m1155 pads on the pulsar most certainly did not.. :D (awaits jackherher :D ) we've had this conversation a few times before, and if you check the temperature range / coefficent of friction for some of the racier pads they need warming up. I don't fancy driving up the road on a cold morning and into the back of somone because i've got track pads, granted i learned to leave a big gap but it still put me off. M1144's however worked fine from cold.

Hello B)

Yes my 1166 work just fine from cold on my 205, with standard 1.9 discs and calipers. As Visa says above, bedding in is critical, you'll have trouble doing it on the road IMO, I put mine in, drove to a trackday bedding them in all the way and carried on doing it for my first lap or two and only then were they sorted.

BusEngineer

I agree with Visa about the pagid pads, im running them at the moment with OMP discs and once the first use is out of the way they are fantastic, but the other morning i forgot to give them a dab on the way down my road, tried to stop at the end for the T junction and went straight out into the middle of the road, luckily it was half 5 in the morning so no harm done but by god i s**t myself B)

VisaGTi16v

Exactly why I got rid of mine! The 1155's are much better from cold but also gave me a far, far firmer pedal which feels much nicer to use

Sign in to follow this