• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BuD

205 Gti6 Mot....

M@tt

My 205 GTI6 passed the emissions fine at it's MOT. It's not got a cat on it. I'll see if I have the sheet for it when I get home tonight to see what the readings Were.

jonnie205

no need for the cat for an mot on a gti6, if you wnat to run a cat then the 306 cat and downpipe will fit fine then just mate your system up to that

BuD

cheers for all the help - will report back

r.u.sure

Sorry only just found this topic

I'm running a Gti-6 without a cat, car was MOT'd in August, here's my figures for you

Fast Idle CO 0.01

Fast Idle HC 12

Lambda 0.999

Hope they're of some use, Sorry can't shed any light as to what's causing your problem, hope you get it sorted though.

Edited by r.u.sure

ablister
With the emissions fluctuating by 2% odd I would say that there's a problem unrelated to the lack of CAT, but having never checked the emissions on a known-good GTi-6 without a CAT it's hard to say - certainly the fluctuations don't sound at all right though.

why not?

emissions never stay at one reading, they are constantly changing.

They can stabalise to within a small range but can take a few attempts to get there

shooter mcgavin
why not?

emissions never stay at one reading, they are constantly changing.

They can stabalise to within a small range but can take a few attempts to get there

just got my 205 gti6 engine checked all ok without a cat fitted,c.o level 1.37%,h.c level 204ppm,lambda 1.02.def doesnt need a cat fitted,have you definatly checked inlet,hoses,gaskets with carb cleaner to check for a leak,ma local tester says sounds like an air leak somewhere . just a thought,youve not blocked off the pipe for your charcoal canister have you?on your emmissions sheet does it say fast idle,if so then it is the wrong test as the emmission probe is only inserted after raising the engine speed for about 20 secs then insert probe at idle for a non cat test.can you post the details of the test.

Edited by shooter mcgavin

BuD
just a thought,youve not blocked off the pipe for your charcoal canister have you?

Yes I have removed the charcoal canister and left the sensor unplugged, could this cause the problem?

Non cat test CO 4.xx to 6.xx limit 3.5%

Mikey S
Yes I have removed the charcoal canister and left the sensor unplugged, could this cause the problem?

Non cat test CO 4.xx to 6.xx limit 3.5%

no. the ecu only opens the canister valve at certain times, namely wide open throttle. so it wont affect the emmisions reading at idle.

if you have replaced the lambda sensor and checked the coolant temp sensor then i would be looking towards a leaking injector.

if you put a cat onto an engine running nearly 6% co readings, it would burn it out in no time.

how many different analysers has the car been tested on? even though they are calibrated every 12 months for mot purposes, they can still be widely out.

BuD

2 seperate test machines have indicated a very high CO reading.

All 4 injectors cleaned and flow tested before fitting.

ablister
if you put a cat onto an engine running nearly 6% co readings, it would burn it out in no time.

Why would it burn out if lambda is ok?

Mikey S
Why would it burn out if lambda is ok?

you tell me, but i have recently had a 206 quiksilver that was running at 8% co due to a faulty cts that had damaged the cat.

ablister

the 306 gti management system is designed to have a cat, hence why (i assume) co reading is high without one, and my first post about a faulty cat producing high co approx 4-5%.

Bud has also told us that all the sensors are ok: cts, lambda, injectors etc etc

Was the 8% reading you measured after you replaced the temp sensor or when it was faulty?

shooter mcgavin

if it was a leaky injector would that not show up as high hydrcarbon content,as hc is unburnt fuel?if it was me id be double/double checking inlet side for any leaks,also tryin to check the ecu for any fault codes,have you carried out a oil consumption test or a block test yet?if the lambda content was ok then it shouldnt burn out the cat i would have thought as lambda:ie perfect stoichiometric ratio?is lambda 1 or air/fuel ratio of 14.7,have you had your car checked by a competent mechanic or sumbudy thats jist slept wi one?for readings that high you would expect a quik diagnosis

Edited by shooter mcgavin

Spiky

when i took my car for an MOT it was

CO max allowed was 3.50 mine was 0.61

HC max allowed was 1200 mine was 88

BuD

Its fixed :wacko:

Neil at Des Developments discovered a dry joint in the lambda sensor heater wire inside the loom, this was causing the lambda to respond slowly.

Now with this fixed CO: 0.81%, HC: 105ppm.

Am very pleased - Big thanks to all who posted to help.

Having driven it a bit for the first time I am finding other problems tho - theres a mettalic vibration\belt whine noise that doesnt sound good, also the brakes arent bled properly or there is a leak!! Oh and I need shorter springs for my coilovers.

But it does go very well!

welshpug

YAY! I was right lol. shame things like this take so long to trace. I bet with those figures it wouldn't be far off passing a cat test :wacko:

CaptainK
Neil at Des Developments discovered a dry joint in the lambda sensor heater wire inside the loom, this was causing the lambda to respond slowly.

Freaky, thats basically what was wrong with mine too - except mine was permanently broken so the lambda wasn't getting heated. Resulted in a lot of kangarooing and strange engine response. :blink:

Glad you got it fixed though. :D (mine was fixed yesterday)

Super Josh
Having driven it a bit for the first time I am finding other problems tho - theres a mettalic vibration\belt whine noise that doesnt sound good

That's great news :blink:

The belt whine noise is usually down to a bearing on it's way out in either the idler or auto-tensioner pulleys. Chap on the 306 forum sells aluminium ones with replaceable bearings for a little less than the OE ones from Pug.

Josh

BuD

lol and cheers for the tip

bensonmi

when i worked in an mot station nearly every car that hed a induction kit fitted failed emmisions and the only way they would pass was to fit the standard air box,which was no doubt changed back as soon as it got its ticket! something to consider anyway.

Sign in to follow this