• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Eddy5

Brake Pads - Mintex Or Ebc?

Eddy5

OK what pads should I use on the front of a Standard 1.9 GTi with standard discs? :D

It's going to be for sprinting and hillcimbing, so any that need time to warm up are no good.

My current thoughts are

EBC Greenstuffs or

Mintex 1144s

Or if someone has another recomendation (Approx £50 - £60) then suggest away.

cybernck

i'd say ferodo ds2000.

saveloy

The DS2000 is no longer available. They have moved on to the 2500. A bit more track orientated. I loved the DS2000. I have recently fitted a set of Mintex 1144's & am shocked at how good they are. Better feel than the DS2000 & better progression. They do squeal though. They are better suited for you,than the EBC pads.

pacey205

Ill agree with Saveloy about the fact that they squeal quite alot but they really do work well though, If I can put up with the squeling on my everyday car it shouldnt be a problem for a track car either.

Michael

Guest chownr

Well my experience is that I put some greenstuff on my pug which I use for road rallying and I have been really un-impressed with their performance. At speeds up to about 60mph they are fine but if you try to haul the car down from high speed they fade very badly. I thought maybe they had glazed up or similar but on taking them off they seemed in OK condition. The other thing I have noticed is there is no disc wear what-so-ever which suggests to me that they are such a soft compound that there is actually very little bite onto the disc. Next time Ill be trying the 1144.

Rich

Alan_M

Get the Mintex, although i've never tried them. But i have EBC Greenstuff V4 on my big brake conversion, and they have started to leave copper deposits on the disc.

They are going soon!

Guest SuperFLY
Well my experience is that I put some greenstuff on my pug which I use for road rallying and I have been really un-impressed with their performance. At speeds up to about 60mph they are fine but if you try to haul the car down from high speed they fade very badly.

not in my experience...

6-groove red dot discs and greenstuff pads were put on my car 380miles ago..

2 days ok (i wont go into details) i was travelling at 115mph JUST about to over take a car in the lefthand lane when he thought it would be a good idea to move into my lane!! i managed to get from 115 to about 50 in under a second without locking up the wheels!

personally im incrediably grateful and satisfied!

Guest ScoobyJawa

EBC is cheap rubbish.

Hence why they are just undergoing a massive redesign of their pads/materials - not something you'd do unless you knew you had a problem........

I had DS2500 on my Scoob, superb :D EBC utter bollux :D Mintex good to but as said, they squeal and dust loads, still good though.

C_W

On a car liike the 205 EBC Greenstuff pads are fine. I NEVER had any fade using them and seeing as you can get them for £30 they're pretty good. Also last a long time too. The only iffy bit is the copper deposit thing leading to high speed vibration especially on big discs.

The best thing EBC can do for the moment is go back to the previous compound for the 205 as that didn't have copper and were a very nice pad.

Doof

I've only done one trackday with greenstuffs on and i didn't notice any fade whatsoever but then it wasn't really a seriously hard braking track. For 30 quid though and on a light 205 i think they're alright.

Simes
. The only iffy bit is the copper deposit thing leading to high speed vibration especially on big discs.

Ta for that I wondered what was going on.

Guest smckeown

i'd only consider the 1144's or Ferodo's for your sprint/hillclimb needs, the ferodo's will probably be more but wont squeel

saveloy
not in my experience...

6-groove red dot discs and greenstuff pads were put on my car 380miles ago..

2 days ok (i wont go into details) i was travelling at 115mph JUST about to over take a car in the lefthand lane when he thought it would be a good idea to move into my lane!! i managed to get from 115 to about 50 in under a second without locking up the wheels!

personally im incrediably grateful and satisfied!

ER,I'm finding it rather difficult to type,whilst laughing hysterically. I think the McLaren F1 team may have just found their new weapon!

Guest NOsMAN
The only iffy bit is the copper deposit thing leading to high speed vibration especially on big discs.

holy moley so thats whats causing the vibration ....think its time for a change of pads :D Then i dont know what to go for?? cos the other pads i had were G-Force 2000 pads which were crap when cold and good when hot :o

[CJ]

I bought Greenstuff pads and EBC discs for my 205 and they have never ever faded. The only problem I have noticed is that they needs to be warmed up before they really bite. I won't say that they really impressed me when i got them on but they haven't faded on me yet. Anyways, they can't be that bad. They won several tests in all the major magazines.

/Christian

NickR

The only improvement I saw with my m1144 over the greenstuff was that they seemed to give better more solid feel at high speed. I never suffered fade with greenstuff or m1144.

Big plus point for me, was that the m1144 seemed to last longer, I think someone said this is down to a good proportion of metal used in them. This was the main reason I swapped mintex.

Both had adequate stopping power when cold.

Have you notice how when you've been for a good thrash and got your brakes hot, you trundle through town and stop at some lights and they feel SO light, i had this with green stuff and m1144.

Sign in to follow this