• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tesstuff

Gentry Autobox Question

Tesstuff

I have noticed a problem with my car lately, when i want to overtake i give the accelerator a shove and it always kicked down and i went past with little drama, but now when i do it it changes down a gear as usual, then within half a second it kicks down again and that puts it deep into the redline zone of the rev counter and i have to back off so i dont blow the engine up.

This raises a few problems as far as i can see :-

1) It has happened three times now and if it keeps happening im going to blow my engine up.

2) The overtaking has been in 'no risk' locations where backing off was ok as i didnt have a car heading for me at high speed, but should i want or need to overtake when cars are heading my way , backing off is going to be very dangerous.

and 3) My gearbox is going to need attention as far as i can work out, because it is obviously allowing a down change when it shouldnt, the gearbox controls everything, wont change up or down when i want it to because of the speed im doing in each ratio, yet here it is changing into 1st gear at 40mph for example...which it never has before.

I have always wondered why manual cars need new clutches every so many thousand miles yet an auto doesnt need anything new, or maybe now it will need something.

Any ideas why the gearbox is allowing itself to kickdown twice deep into the redline zone?

dino20vt

Im no expert mate, but i'd check the cable that goes from the throttle body to the gearbox if you havent already done so.

Tesstuff

Update

The gearbox oil is below the minimum marker on the dipstick. I was told these need to be kept at the maximum at all times, it also solves the mystery of the drips on the drive that started a short while ago.

I will top it up tomorrow and hope it is sorted. Would prefer it not to drip though.

Edited by Tesstuff

johno_78

All the 205 auto's i've had kickdown in the way you describe. it'll drop one gear when the accelerator is pushed past a certain point and then drop a second if you have mashed the peddle into the carpet. the auto boxes change back up at around 6500rpm.

I've found that you've just got to learn where these kickdown points are at different rev ranges and adjust your throttle control to suit.

You can adjust the kickdown cable, as suggested by Dino, so it'll only kickdown when more throttle is applied.

Sign in to follow this