• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tommer

Air/fuel Mixture For Emissions For Mot

Tommer

hi all,

getting ready to re-MOT my 1.9 GTI, I have the original 8v beauty!

I was advised that it failed on emissions last time but not buy a great number over the limit, and that I can asjust the air/fuel mixture to lower the emissions for the MOT.

can anyone offer some advice on this? I like where to start :S

cheers in advance.

tommer

welshpug

CO should be under 3.5%, ideally around 1.5%.

kyepan

You can adjust the mixture with the mixture screw on the AFM,

Not sure but adjusting the timing may also help to get a cleaner burn.

Anthony

What were the emissions results when it failed, as the solution will depend on whether it failed on CO or HC.

Limit is 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC.

If it's failed on high CO (the usual reason) then normally you can turn the mixture screw on the AFM anti-clockwise a few turns to bring it down - aim for around 1-1.5% CO.

Super Josh

If it has only *just* failed the emissions, then an oil change usually brings it down by a little bit too :D

Josh

richsmells
If it has only *just* failed the emissions, then an oil change usually brings it down by a little bit too :blush:

Josh

Yup, I always change mine before MOT. Always way under the limit. Doesn't smell like it though! :D

Tommer

not sure what the exact failure was, will check when i get home and post the info up!

will also look at changing oil, any recommendations on brand and what ammount?

cheers again

tommer

SurGie

Have you tried cleaning the oxegen sensor ?

welshpug
Have you tried cleaning the oxegen sensor ?

:)

no pug with an adjustable mixture has a lambda sensor ;)

SurGie

Ok, when my 205 1.9 failed i cleaned up the sensor that goes into the water near where the thomostat is on top area of head, there is a wire attatched to it,

it passed it mot and i did nothing else. this is why i said try it.

Baz

The coolant temp. sensor then!

SurGie
Ok, when my 205 1.9 failed i cleaned up the sensor that goes into the water near where the thomostat is on top area of head, there is a wire attatched to it,

it passed it mot and i did nothing else. this is why i said try it.

I was told it the oxegen sensor by a mate, any way i gave it a clean and it passed. Not sure why though as it the coolant sensor like you said, anyway it was few years back

when i was not as wise with engines.

lagonda

Assume you're exaggerating re Redex content .... anyway, yes, I would think that any Redex in your petrol would harm your emissions read-out, although I would imagine more the HC than CO.

And, yes, that hexagon headed screw is the idle mixture adjustment.

Incidentally, when I took mine for MOT a year ago, just after engine rebuild, I had the ignition way advanced, so much so that I couldn't get the idle below 1500rpm. That was soon sorted, but now with an idle of around 950, I see the emission readings are higher (but still within pass).

So ... temporarily increasing your idle speed will probably get you through ... I think you're allowed up to 1800 rpm but best check, or try for 1500 as that passed mine at the time. I assume readings are better at higher idle as engine is running in a more efficient rev range.

j_turnell

Just give it a service and adjust the co using the 5mm allen key on the afm, anti clockwise to lean it off.

Edited by j_turnell

Sign in to follow this