• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamiej

Creak From The Rear ... Not The Beam ... Surely

jamiej

Oki Doki,

I have a creak coming from the back. I have had it since owning the car and just thought i'd ask for a bit of advice.

So, the creak. The best way to describe it is, it sounds like someone knocking the boot floor with a rubber mallet. never more than one knock at a time.

The knock/creak/bang occurs under "spirited" cornering

Rapid accel or Decel

LARGE speedbumps

Now, to me, this all seems to point to the rear beam, and im sure this is where the issue is coming from.

The beam itself, according to the previous owner, has been replaced and i believe him, he gave me a list of replacements and most of them i can prove, apart from the beam.

Someone, somewhere made comment to the rear beam mounts that may be what is causing the noise, is there some sort of rubber donut that goes between the beam and the car chassis, if this has gone, there will be a knock ??

Also, the rear ride height of the car has dropped since i have owned the car, only a small amount.

So, any ideas opinion (as always) very much appreciated. Am i barking up the wrong tree, is the beam knackered ?? or can i just replace some bits of rubber.

Thanks

Jamie

welshpug

spare wheel :rolleyes:

jamiej

If that is the truth, you may have made my day, but please dont tell anyone !

any more opinions

steve@cornwall

Check the spare wheel and cage . Especially if you have a 1.9 alloy spare. Spare tyre loses pressure - cage becomes slghtly loose and knocks!

Pugnut
Oki Doki,

I have a creak coming from the back. I have had it since owning the car and just thought i'd ask for a bit of advice.

So, the creak. The best way to describe it is, it sounds like someone knocking the boot floor with a rubber mallet. never more than one knock at a time.

creaks would sound like the beam. but bang with a rubber mallet type noises sound completely different. after checking the spare i would check the exhaust. Grab the tail pipe and see if you can wiggle the exhaust and see if you can make it bash off the floor. Badly fitted exhausts , worn or missing rubber mounts or tired engine mounts can all make the exhaust hit the floor. also look for marks where its been hitting.

after that i'de jack the rear wheels off the ground . there are 'sandwich' mounts for the rear beam that are on the underside of the boot floor. you'll easily see if they have parted.

only after checking those things would i start looking at the beam.

Sign in to follow this