• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Brake Mix Up..

dirtdog

Hi thanks for checking this topic out. Just wondering if anyone could help me out because I'm a bit confused as to what I need. I think i've got a mixture of 1.6gti and 1.9gti brakes...it's never straight forward is it :)

Basically...I looked around in the engine bay and I can't find the compensator for the life of me. Where should I be looking? Also when I actually find it, is it possible to tell just by looking at it, that it needs replacing?

Secondly, I'll be putting 1.9 calipers on soon and don't know which type to get. Girling / Bendix? I'm also replacing the M/C and I belive I need the 20.6mm but I have seen two diffrent types available?

Finally i'll be looking to fit new brake lines. Was looking at the 'goodridge' solid lines for a 1.6gti and stainless braided 1.9gti hose for the front. Am I looking at the right parts for my car?

Put simply..I have got drums on the back and 1.9 discs(not calipers)on the front. If anyone can make head or tail of any of this then pllllease help me! Thank you in advance, cheers - Gary

Anthony

You car will currently have 1.6 Bendix calipers, 1.9 disks, and base model hubs.

1.9 calipers are Girling. Master cylinder you need is indeed 20.6mm. The complete 1.6 GTi hose set is fine. Compensator is on the passenger side chassis leg, sort of behind and below the battery.

You'll need different bolts for the 1.9 calipers btw as the 1.6 ones are way too long.

dirtdog

Hi Anthony, thanks for that. I'm getting the calipers new so hopefully they will come with the correct bolts. I'll pop the battery out later and have a look to see if I can find the elusive little bugger!

So even if I fit the 1.9 calipers, braided 1.6 hoses will work?? I saw that the 1600 kit is a 4 line? And the 1900 is a 6 line kit?

This if from the GSF site..

PN Description Fitment Price() Basket

N65218 BRAKE MASTER CYL-19mm 205 £33.90 Add

65269 BRAKE MASTER CYL-20.6mm 205 £31.25 Add

65269F BRAKE MAS CYL- 20.6mm 205 19mm £22.50 Add

Which is the one needed? The bottom one confuses me because it mentions 19mm and 20.6mm! I guess i'll need the item "65269" but it's worth asking I suppose..

Thanks again

Edited by dirtdog

Anthony
Hi Anthony, thanks for that. I'm getting the calipers new so hopefully they will come with the correct bolts. I'll pop the battery out later and have a look to see if I can find the elusive little bugger!

You shouldn't need to remove the battery - just look behind the battery and downwards, and you should see the compensator there assuming my memory is correct and it's a 1.6 GTi style setup on them (ie one brakeline running to the back).

So even if I fit the 1.9 calipers, braided 1.6 hoses will work?? I saw that the 1600 kit is a 4 line? And the 1900 is a 6 line kit?

The front hoses are identical between the two kits - the difference is the rear hoses.

Which is the one needed? The bottom one confuses me because it mentions 19mm and 20.6mm! I guess i'll need the item "65269" but it's worth asking I suppose..

Some of GSF's part descriptions are a bit confusing, but I'd guess that it's 65269 one that you need.

jackherer
I'm getting the calipers new so hopefully they will come with the correct bolts.

New calipers are often supplied as just the top part, they don't always come with the bottom part or yoke, let alone bolts.

Can you enter your correct location into your profile please.

dirtdog

I'll see what happens, try and play a few companys off against each other and see if I end up with the "yokes?" and bolts aswell. I won't be happy spending just over £100 quid for only the top parts...

I'll change it now..

welshpug

it is indeed 65269 you need for the M/C, its a Bendix item, the other cheaper one will also fit but is a pattern part :)

McDude

Do NOT buy a pattern MC - I recently had my fingers burnt with a pattern MC from GSF. Others on this forum shared tales of pattern part woes. The proper Bendix one is only a couple of quid extra and worth ten times as much.

GSF calipers are usually exchange items - i.e. you need to take the old caliper back to get the cheap price. I'm not sure how that would work if you don't take back a 1.9 caliper. Possibly they won't check.

Jackherer is right - the GSF calipers come as a caliper only and you have to pay extra for the yoke and bolts.

Miles

I can't echo the above post by Mcdude enough, Pattern M/S are very poor and I';ve had a couple fail even when new so it's worth while spending a couple of quid as it's the only thing that stops you.

I'd get a new revisiour too as these are only a few quid from Pug.

If you need some pipe's drop me a line as I can supply the stainless fitting's for the same price as the horrid plated ones from Goodrdige plus mine fit where the goodrigde ones don't without small mods to the car's fittings

pug_ham

The STDT has real mix of a brake system layout, base model 19mm mc with diagonal split system, Bendix 1.6 GTi front calipers with 1.9 discs on base model hubs & drums at the back which have the compemsators built into the wheel cylinders so you won't be able to find it anywhere in the engine bay.

The wheel cylinders are fairly easy to recognise because they have a different 13mm brake union going into them rather than teh normal 10mm one at the mc & flexi hose ends.

Graham.

Anthony
The STDT has real mix of a brake system layout, base model 19mm mc with diagonal split system, Bendix 1.6 GTi front calipers with 1.9 discs on base model hubs & drums at the back which have the compemsators built into the wheel cylinders so you won't be able to find it anywhere in the engine bay.

The wheel cylinders are fairly easy to recognise because they have a different 13mm brake union going into them rather than teh normal 10mm one at the mc & flexi hose ends.

My memory of the brake setup on my STDT must be playing tricks with me - apologies to the OP for the bum info :blush:

Although mine *definately* had 1.6 GTi drums on the back of it with M10x1 unions, so I assume someone must have changed it at some point in its life? Rest of the beam was XS spec though - ie 18.5mm TB's and 16mm ARB - and didn't lock the rears after I swapped the whole beam out for a complete 1.6 GTi one despite the apparent lack of compensators.... although the more I think about it, the more I think my STDT was just an oddball car, seeing as it had base model front suspension on it too when clearly it shouldn't have done.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, based on what Graham has said, the 1.6 GTi brakeline kit won't by any good to you either as one of the rear hoses will be wrong. You'll need a 1.9 GTi one and you'll have a couple of lines left over, or speak to Miles and get him to make you some up.

pug_ham

I fitted some rear hoses around the beam on mine for its last MOT & they are the same hoses as used there on the 1.9 GTi so a 1.6 kit definately won't be any good for one of the hoses.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this