• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

205's With 309 Beams On Them.

yorkshirekowboy

hi,

im in the process of rebuliding this 309 axle, and some of the pictures i have seen of 205s with 309 beams on. If anybody knowe the limit i could lower my beam to before it hits the arches to that would be good. Im asking this as i have looked and not found much at all.

Henry Yorke

205 beams are generally better for lowness. You have to watch the tyre profile as square shoulder ones will catch more. Also it would be best to run on 45 tyres too on a 15" wheel. You could deck it if you were on 14" pepperpots / DTurbo harrier wheels as the offset is less on these

yorkshirekowboy
There's already a picture thread with many. Try a search! :lol:

ive searched but couldnt find much. i will try again :P

yorkshirekowboy

S13Nick what size tyres are they? my eagle f1's are 195/55 r15s?

S13Nick

heres another lol

th_19062008106.jpg

looks even better from the back lol

Edited by pugtorque
image filesize, changed to thumbnails images. Click for full size image

jord294

my new 309 rear beam.

picture shows beam set to 310mm between shocker bolts

post-11467-1222241251_thumb.jpg

but found it to be a little low, so adjusted to 315mm between shocker bolts

Anthony

So long as the bumpstops are still fitted, generally the it should hit those before the tire hits the metal arch. The plastic arch will modify itself quickly enough, so I wouldn't worry too much about that...

As for how long, I'd not personally go any lower than 300mm between shock centers (approximately 1 spline) on a 309 GTi beam.

IMG_9165.sized.jpg

That's about 35mm or so lower at the back, which would be approximately 305mm between shock centers.

Anthony

You sure? That looks to be quite low for 310mm between shock centers - the 315mm figure you mention should give roughly standard ride height...

cybernck

standard wheels are fine, but for instance 7x15" ET7 will definately rub the plastic arches! :rolleyes:

yorkshirekowboy

now that looks niceeeeee :rolleyes:

jord294
now that looks niceeeeee :rolleyes:

thanks.

not bad for £300 a couple of years ago.

just flew through m.o.t with no advisories :blush:

shalmaneser
my new 309 rear beam.

what exhaust is that? I feel a right chav for asking that...

Looks the perfect size, though.

SurGie
standard wheels are fine, but for instance 7x15" ET7 will definately rub the plastic arches! :rolleyes:

What about 6.75 width alloys with ZX arms? :blush:

jord294
what exhaust is that? I feel a right chav for asking that...

Looks the perfect size, though.

it's something like powerflow, or magnaflow iirc. definately stainless steel.

it was on a 205 gti i bought for spares for £150.

needless to say i did quite well out of that deal :rolleyes:

Edited by jord294

Henry Yorke

At the risk of going off topic, Piper exhausts look like that. Not many 205 ones come out straight like a 309 one does. They look loads better for it. Angled exhausts are for Novas only, but unfortunately Magnex ones arre slightly like that. Scoprion are the worst as they are angled and point up!

pug_ham
What about 6.75 width alloys with ZX arms? :rolleyes:

Depends on the offset but they'll catch the arch trim at least for a while.

The ZX arms only change the amount of camber & toe, not the width of the beam or anything else.

My track wheels are 6.5 x 15 et18 but cleared Ok after the first 30 minutes drive with a bit in the boot.

Graham.

SurGie
Depends on the offset but they'll catch the arch trim at least for a while.

The ZX arms only change the amount of camber & toe, not the width of the beam or anything else.

My track wheels are 6.5 x 15 et18 but cleared Ok after the first 30 minutes drive with a bit in the boot.

Graham.

Ok, thanks.

I just thought cause its got neg camber the top part of tyre would clear it, just making sure before i

fit it all toether.

Do you know if i set rear height to 205's setting to 30 mm will it not rub the steel arch of body?

George

Tommer

hi guys,

just to hop on the back of this topic, you mentioned 312 between shock bolts up there, is that from the centre of the bolt or the edge?

I had a template made up with the 315 mm between the bolt hole centres to allign my 309 beam...

just wondering...

Anthony
just to hop on the back of this topic, you mentioned 312 between shock bolts up there, is that from the centre of the bolt or the edge?

Should be center to center - certainly any measurements that I quote are :angry:

de Noir
my new 309 rear beam.

ermmmm... what TBs you got there..?

my 309GTI16 beam with 20mm TBs set at 310mm ended like this:

P9140044.jpg

minus one spline turn later:

P9170048.jpg

taylorspug

Tbh im going to stop using the usual between the shocks method for setting heights from now on. Reason being is ive just put some new bars in my beam, set to the same measurement between the shock centres, but due to a tiny bit of play in one arm, as soon as i put it on the ground it sat on the piss. After a day of taking it apart and putting it back together over and over again, i came to the conclusion i could either go and get a new set of arms and run the risk of having a bit of play in those too, or i could disregard the unloaded 'between the shocks' setting, and instead set the beam so it measured up the same once it was back on the ground with the cars weight on it.

I went for the latter method in the end, and all is well so far, in fact nothing has changed other than my measurement is now 'real time' and taking into account any slight play (obviously the smallest amount of play can end up making a huge difference at the wheel), and the car sits alot squarer on the road for it.

Its the first time ive really had this problem, but it has make me rethink the way i will do things in the future. I realise its a little hard to achieve if im not setting up the height with the beam on the car though! So it also doesnt suprise me peoples measurements are varying so wildly!

Edited by taylorspug

Sign in to follow this