• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ricky123

Suspension Creeek When Turning?

ricky123

I have recently put some spax -40mm springs on the front of my car on OE shocks and since i have put them on the suspension has started creeking when i turn the wheel?

Does anyone no what could be causing this? i think it may be the top mounts but thought i would ask on here before i try and get some.

Any help would be appreciated

P.S i also put a sparco strut brace on but dont think that should cause any problems?

jimistdt

Mine did this, I think it was the ARB groaning in the mounts, I changed the droplinks and the noise stopped.

Jimi :P

Anthony

Top Mount Bearings would be my first suspicion

ricky123

Thanks for the replies, does anyone no if gti6 top mounts will fit a 205? and if they do would i be able to use my lowering springs on the gti6 shocks? My mate is fitting coilovers on his gti6 and he has said i can have his shocks

Guest mrtcotton
I have recently put some spax -40mm springs on the front of my car on OE shocks and since i have put them on the suspension has started creeking when i turn the wheel?

Does anyone no what could be causing this? i think it may be the top mounts but thought i would ask on here before i try and get some.

Any help would be appreciated

P.S i also put a sparco strut brace on but dont think that should cause any problems?

Definately drop links. Mine used to sound like an old galleon ship until i changed them both. HTH

Baz
Thanks for the replies, does anyone no if gti6 top mounts will fit a 205? and if they do would i be able to use my lowering springs on the gti6 shocks? My mate is fitting coilovers on his gti6 and he has said i can have his shocks

Top mounts no, Springs yes although they may sit a little higher than they were on a 306.

sss_205GTI

Got exactly the same problem in my 1600 - changed the standerd top mounts which were knocking very badly - to some 2nd hand (but like new) group N top mounts off someone on here and the noise is even worse B)

Have heard the ARB links are rubbish and always go - sometimes even only a year after replacing them - mine were changed last year - but have been checked and theres zero play in them - which only leaves the top mounts for that kinda noise.

Im at a loss as to how to resolve the noise other than replacing the top mounts with genuine BRAND NEW top mounts :)

sss_205GTI

Also - you wouldnt get that noise if, say, one of this springs was on upside down?? :)B)

skeggyrik
changed the standerd top mounts which were knocking very badly - to some 2nd hand (but like new) group N top mounts off someone on here and the noise is even worse :)

Are you talking about the rubbers only?

The top mount bearings, the bit that needs to turn when the wheels are turned, could be very tired and need replacing.

Is the steering very heavy too? if so it could be these that need are in need of replacment, which is what the others were probably referring to?

R

pug_ham

I'd also suspect top mount bearings, either dead or fitted incorrectly so they graunch.

Top mounts no, Springs yes although they may sit a little higher than they were on a 306.

The top mount bearings are the same though aren't they? GSF list a rack of cars that use the same bearuings for the top mounts as the 205/309 & iirc the 306/ZX is one of them.

Graham.

ricky123

Yes the steering does feel abit heavy, the noise is only there when you turn other than that it is silent so it probably is the bearings.

Does anyone no how much bearings are? im watching a set on ebay so dont want to end up paying more than there worth.

Cheers

pug_ham

I've got SKF top mount bearings from my local motor factors for under £15 a pair.

They are only £7.50 each + vat @ GSF iirc.

Graham.

skeggyrik

If buying from them from GSF they come as a kit with the rubbers if trying to buy for a 205.

However they a listed as single items under Berlingo and are the smae items.

Well they better be as that's what I bought! :P

Edited by skeggyrik

Sign in to follow this