• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SPGTi

Fitting 406 16v Coil Pack On Gti6 Head

SPGTi

I want to use the 406 16v coil pack in place of the 306GTi6 COP set up. The lugs, which I presume are to bolt the 306 coil packs to, are in the way. Before I start grinding off the lugs has anyone got a simpler solution or a good reason why I shouldn't start grinding ?

cheers

Steve

GTI6BOY

i use this set up but i am having problems with the packs. when they get hot the car dies/miss fires/2k rev limit you name it the car does it. i let the pack cool down and everything is normal again?

i am going back to the original set up because its pissing me off braking down on the way to car shows and every one can see.

im on my 3rd pack in 6 months

you just have to put the grinder on it but you start to see metal pieces inside the plastic which might have something to do with them over heating?

Edited by GTI6BOY

Sandy

I've used that coilpack on several road and competition engines with no problems, quite possible you have either bad luck or another issue.

The simple alternative is an 8v coilpack and 1996 etc Corsa 16v leads.

Miles

Same here, Used that config on a few now and have it on mine (Yet to run thou on mine) and work's a treat + being nice and tidy help's but I hate have pipes or leads dangling around

SPGTi

Sandy / Miles,

What do you actually do to get the coil pack to fit ? Remove material fom the coilpack or grind down the lugs on the GTi6 head ? It is just when I have offered it up it looks like I will have to remove more material than I would like fom the coil pack.

cheers

Steve

Sandy

I tend to use regular XU7J4 or XU10J4 heads in my builds, in preference to the GTI6 head, but yes, you need to grind the lugs to clear. Also, you'll find the plastic cam cover coilpack has the oil cap relief slightly out of alignment compared to the alloy cam cover design.

Sign in to follow this