• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

The Dreaded Tin-worm...

shalmaneser

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00783.jpg

Not too bad as you can see, but I'd rather stop it now before it gets any worse. How difficult is it to weld a plate in here, it looks like it's single skin, or is there more that one bit of chassis here? Just thinking of fabbing up a bit of metal, welding it in and sealing it afterwards.

Obviously looking at dropping the fuel tank out, other than that looks fairly straight forward.

It's not an MOT fail is it? It's a fair old distance from any sus mounting points, and doesn't look structural.

As the description, any thoughts/advise appreciated!

Cheers,

Adam.

steve@cornwall

Often overlooked by mot man................. but well within 300mm of rear seatbelt mount?

craig f90

Mines been the same for years. on the list to do. Passed mot every year with that too.

Flix

They must all rot there. Just chop it out and weld a new piece in.

Easy job with the tank out.

Miles

I doubt any MOT'er would notice as it's under the seat's and you could always just stick some sealer over it worst case if they did notice.

But it is a tank out job, but don;t worry thats one of the key 205 rusty points

shalmaneser

Cool, thanks for the input.

probably leave it till next summer then fire up the ol' welder and let rip!

Hoe she passes MOT with it, might do as miles says and blob a bit of sealant on it...

djinuk

both my 205s are the same.

Stu

Id be tempted to drown it in Jenolite to try to stop it spreading, blast on a bit of sealer and paint and forget about it for a while!

SurGie
Cool, thanks for the input.

probably leave it till next summer then fire up the ol' welder and let rip!

Hoe she passes MOT with it, might do as miles says and blob a bit of sealant on it...

Hi ya mate,

Both my 205's have this problem, my 1.9 one has only got surface rust on this area.

The most evident reason for this is the rear quarter badge have little holes in the rear wing so they fit in, its just these are not water tight

and let rain in then it drips down to this area and settle's till rust appears, try taking them of an stick them back on with flexible silicone,

then electric tape it up straight over night then its sealed, job done.

Yeh clean it up,then put kurust on it then seal it up, that'l sort it out for a while, in case mot see's it and decides its no good. :)

RossD

Yep, mine had gone in exactly the same place too. Cleaned up and all the rust removed it was only a tiny hole, so a fibreglass filler skim and a paint and nobody will knwo it was there.

Seems like the #1 place for a 205 to rot.

dirtdog

I don't think rain leaks in and sits there...at least not with mine. I thought it was happening to me, until I realised what the under side was like :) Haven't got around to having a proper look underneath yet but I know what's in store for me...

I can't find the pictures I saw the other day, this is the only one I can find at the moment and it's not too bad you get the picture though. I've seen some pretty bad looking ones

Edited by dirtdog

SurGie
I don't think rain leaks in and sits there...at least not with mine. I thought it was happening to me, until I realised what the under side was like :) Haven't got around to having a proper look underneath yet but I know what's in store for me...

I can't find the pictures I saw the other day, this is the only one I can find at the moment and it's not too bad you get the picture though. I've seen some pretty bad looking ones

The rust looks like its started from the inside as the paint peeling with rust underneith, when u take out petrol tank i'd seal it up with protecting body sealant

underneith and on the inside of the seat area, that'l stop it happening again, i did that to mine.

Them holes where badges are its best to seal up anyhow, they always leak water in wether it goes in the seat area or even

the rear side sill area aswell.

dirtdog

I don't get any leaks in the car(I used to from the sunroof handle, and the rear lens because it wasnt sitting flush after someone shunted me....silicone to the rescue!)

I personally think it starts underneath and comes through into the inside of the car. Dirt,mud etc clinging to parts that you can't really clean. I blast out of wheel archs every so often to get rid of all the crap but obviously I can't get to where the tank is. I think mud or whatever gathers here and holds the moisture leading to nice rust blisters and eventually holes :) I'm plating the inside and the outside. I'm going to seriously reinforce the other side, weld a nice thick plate and literally drown it with rust treatment products

I'm not being argumentative or anything, but I just don't understand how you think water on the inside is causing the outside/underneath of the car to rust. Surely it rust from the outside and then eats its way inside?

SurGie
I don't get any leaks in the car(I used to from the sunroof handle, and the rear lens because it wasnt sitting flush after someone shunted me....silicone to the rescue!)

I personally think it starts underneath and comes through into the inside of the car. Dirt,mud etc clinging to parts that you can't really clean. I blast out of wheel archs every so often to get rid of all the crap but obviously I can't get to where the tank is. I think mud or whatever gathers here and holds the moisture leading to nice rust blisters and eventually holes :) I'm plating the inside and the outside. I'm going to seriously reinforce the other side, weld a nice thick plate and literally drown it with rust treatment products

I'm not being argumentative or anything, but I just don't understand how you think water on the inside is causing the outside/underneath of the car to rust. Surely it rust from the outside and then eats its way inside?

Yeh it can go either way, its jst in the prctical classics mag where they put a buying guide in there for 205, they say what i said that water goes in them holes where

bades go on and settle in seat area's. The many 205s i had the rust always goes in the ofside of the seat area iv never seen yet it rusting on the near side. That could be just

the cars iv had thou.

dirtdog

Would've thought the rear window seals would be the main culprit for water in rear seats? I've got rust patch either side.. not identical, the offside is bigger and has a little crack/hole in it. The near side has not come all the way through..no holes as of yet! I've only owned two so i'm probably wrong anyway

SurGie
Would've thought the rear window seals would be the main culprit for water in rear seats? I've got rust patch either side.. not identical, the offside is bigger and has a little crack/hole in it. The near side has not come all the way through..no holes as of yet! I've only owned two so i'm probably wrong anyway

Water/mud also probly setles between the tank and body, best to fully seal up with body sealant like the stuff they use to guide panels together

and the stuff that you can see in pic, they use that stuff to seal and protec the whole car from rot, it works well. (when you take tank out). iv got a 4 door GT with windows and i

still have the rust in my 4door seat area.

It most likely to be the boot seal/badge holes and fuel tank area thats the many causes.

steve@cornwall
Yeh it can go either way, its jst in the prctical classics mag where they put a buying guide in there for 205, they say what i said that water goes in them holes where

bades go on and settle in seat area's. The many 205s i had the rust always goes in the ofside of the seat area iv never seen yet it rusting on the near side. That could be just

the cars iv had thou.

Mine's worse...... on the nearside.

weejp

I have the exact same issue on the offside too, it's roughly 5cm long and possibly 2cm wide at worst. I have the kurust and filler at the ready, anything else I should be aware of? Is the kurust / filler option OK? I would have to get a professional involved otherwise.

I never thought the badge holes would be the culprit - mad!!!! My car is garaged and rarely encounters the rain, but I do clean it fairly often, should I go the whole hog and take the badges off and re-attach??

dirtdog

I still don't think it's the badges..it might be for other people, but not for me. All seals etc are working fine. I think it's just from neglect of the underside of the car. No underseal = rust. Especially if theres an area that's holding mud, which then means moisture as I've already said above. I cleaned mine up and stuck waterproof filler on it for the time being. When I get the time and money I'll remove the fuel tank and do a 'proper job'

Not had experience in Kurust, although a friend of mine swears by it. Looks ok if you need to do small areas but I'll be using something a bit more...industrial

GLPoomobile

I've never had much joy with Kurust. But on the recommendation of a friend, I've just ordered a load of Bilt Hamber stuff - Deox C mix, Deox Gel, and Hydrate 80 paint. Looks too good to be true on the website, but he said he stuck a rusty old downpipe in a bath of the Deox C solution for a day and it came out like new!

Batfink

The fueltank is so easy to remove so the rust is a small task to completely sort.

Alfie
Yep, mine had gone in exactly the same place too. Cleaned up and all the rust removed it was only a tiny hole, so a fibreglass filler skim and a paint and nobody will knwo it was there.

Seems like the #1 place for a 205 to rot.

Hi all, I would recomend a product called Fertan for this type of job. I've used the stuff with excellant results on older rust than this in the pictures. I'm nothing to do with Fertan by the way but just kills rust dead! You can find local suppliers of it through Google.

RossD

Never tried the Fertain, but as GlPoo says, the Deoc-C stuff is top notch. I've got the powder that you mix with the water, removes rust even from the most corroded metal.

Trouble is, if you have any coated metal, such as that gold zinc type plating you get on bolts/brackets etc, it also removes that too!

Sign in to follow this