• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DSYKES5500

Por15 Results

DSYKES5500

I started with the drivers side front arch, I'll do the other side later because it's not as bad. First pics show the rust and where I've already ground a lot off the front part and around the access hole.

picture_93_small.jpg

picture_94_small.jpg

picture_95_small.jpg

Next one is after I'd treated and painted the front section and then further stripped and ground back the back part:

picture_96_small.jpg

Next is the protective coatings, I use POR15 degreaser, Metal Ready and Rust Preventative paint for the bare metal before primer, paint and then lacquer. Suspension parts get the same treatment but a coat of POR15 Chassis gloss black paint on top of the treatment paint:

picture_97_small.jpg

Finished painting:

picture_99_small.jpg

picture_100_small.jpg

picture_101_small.jpg

Back together:

picture_103_small.jpg

I thought about doing the calipers but after these discs have done, I'll be putting set of 283mm discs on, I'll paint those when the time comes.

I also bought some Dinitrol cavity wax to fire inside the chassis legs and beams.

Did I do everything right?! If not, at least I'll know for the other side!

gazzamec

got a load of this stuff, wasnt impressed with the rust remover as it didnt work, the paint and degreaser are the mutts nuts, ive still got rust preventing paint on my fingers from 3 days ago, nothing will touch it!!!

Last Legend

Looks like you did a good job,why didnt you replace the stonechip?

Dinitrol is brilliant stuff,different league to waxoyl.DO get some in the joint of the cill, behind the bottom of inner rear trim (remove the trim below the rear quarter window where the driver seatbelt goes into)

DSYKES5500

I was reluctant to use stonechip because of what I found hidden under the factory stonechip. I can keep an eye on exactly what is going on under there now but if I really should use stonechip, please let me know and I will apply it to the other side when I get round to it.

Should I use stonechip when I do the same on the chassis rails or will just a couple of coats of the POR15 Chassis black be enough?

Last Legend

'I' would use stonechip, but at the end of the day its your car if your happy being able to keep an eye on this then that fine,I would only really be doing it as that what it had from the factory but then i'm a stickler for thing like that.

Last Legend

Doh! I ment to also say squirt some dinitrol up into the top of the turret/top of shock to stop the rot.

DSYKES5500

No mate, I'm like you, if there should be a bolt or a clip there that was there from the factory then it SHOULD be on!! I'm the same with my line of work, IT, if a server/PC is missing even a blanking plate off the back it, it sends me potty and I've got to get one on there, if it doesn't match I take them all off and replace them with ones that do match. Sad. I know. :blush:

I was just a bit scared with how the rust had travelled under the stonechip, one small visible bubble turned out to be a few centimetres of rusty metal :angry:

The other thing I was unsure about was the instructions of the POR15, degreaser and especially metal ready when they say to rinse off the metal with water and let it dry, it turned the fresh bare metal brown, but with the white glaze of the zinc coating......

Is that normal? Or should I have asked these questions before painting...... :lol::lol::lol:

Sign in to follow this