• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sss_205GTI

The Same Top Mount?

sss_205GTI

I had a terrible knocking noise coming from the OSF of the pug - I was sure it was the top mounts because

1: Both top mounts were advisorys on the MOT

2: There was so much play it was unreal

3: The OSF driveshaft, OSF lower arm and both drop links were replaced last year (previous owner) which didnt leave much else to knock from that corner.

I then brought some Group N top mounts, with standerd shocks and Elbich springs as a complete set up from Dan on here (thanks Dan - has made an amazing amount of difference to the handling)

Fitted them, great, no noise, till later that evening, ever so gradully.

The noise has come back same as before, ive had my Toyota technicians have a look and they've been underneath and prodded and poked and everything seems in place and no movement. They're sure its the osf top mount again. At first he thought the steering rack wasnt bolted down properly - as it does make the noise when turning the steering wheel (especially on right lock - and you dont have to be moving), but theres no vibration through the steering when driving and its not consistant, i.e. you can be going straight and the noise is still there, every now and again.

Has anyone had this problem before - is it something obvious that was a problem with the pugs?

Thanks

James_R

front ARB bushes/mounts not tight enough?

gearbox engine mount?

Edited by James_R

steve@cornwall
front ARB bushes/mounts not tight enough?

gearbox engine mount?

Sounds like drop link trouble - dry ball-joint on the top will give a juddery grating rubber sound when steering, U/S bottom joint will clunk on bumps

welshpug

did you replace the topmount bearing as well as the rubber?

Sign in to follow this