• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pete1986

New Steering Rack

pete1986

I had a look on the GSF site and they were priced at £52, then went on Service Box and Peugeot wanted... wait for it... £522!! That must be some sort of sick joke!!

Wheres the best place to buy one from, apart from Peugeot, obviously. Is there a difference in quality between different motor factors?

Cheers,

Pete

jonnie205

just fit a good used original pug one, they are better quality, ps they are all the same, base model and gti

Edited by jonnie205

Stu

Whats actually wrong with your rack mate?

Provided the actual rack and pinion gears are ok everything else is available to rebuild them.

DanteICE

I have got a power steering rack, obviously without the powersteering gear, if you want a bit of quick rack that is!

Miles

As said the factor one's are missing something, I;ve tried them all and nothing comes close to a recon Pug Rack, only thing is you can;t get them anymore and hence the price

welshpug

I;ve not had any trouble with my GSF supplied rack, been on for 15k fine, road use though.

pete1986

The problem is that there is play in the o/s joint inside the plastic tubing. I had a little knock a few months ago so i dont know if that has caused the problem or whether it is just a result of general wear and tear. Im not sure of the condition of the rack itself, if its bent or not, but there is definately play in that joint.

The syptoms are: it feels harder to turn right that left; feels a bit vague; and sometimes when turning in, not much happens in the first 5-10 degrees of turning the wheel, particually when going from a right to a left corner and visa versa.

pete1986

So, with the problem above, can it be rebuilt instead of being replaced?

taylorspug

I may have a secondhand genuine rack if your interested mate, although it may just be a steering arm from what you have said above. You can get those seperate.

pete1986

Excellent Dan, cheers. :blush:

Got your text earlier regarding my beam - PM on its way.

Guest mrtcotton
The problem is that there is play in the o/s joint inside the plastic tubing. I had a little knock a few months ago so i dont know if that has caused the problem or whether it is just a result of general wear and tear. Im not sure of the condition of the rack itself, if its bent or not, but there is definately play in that joint.

Did you obtain and replace the plastic bush? If so, where from?

Thanks.

Justin.

Sign in to follow this