• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

Lower Arms

eob

This is a project I intend embarking on in another while, but basically, I live on rubbish roads which means the balljoints like to wear out. This is not good. As you know, on the 205 GTi you have to replace the entire lower arm. So.. I'd like to modify a set of lower arms so that the balljoint can be replaced separate to the actual arm.

The best way of doing it would probably be to weld in a threaded insert so it could take a 'trackrod end' style bottom balljoint, is there one of these available anywhere that will suit the 205 hubs?

Secondly... welding the lower arms, I guess this puts you at risk of the mount on the bottom arm snapping under cornering load = death...? How much could you trust a set of lower arms which had been cut with a set of inserts welded in aka a rosejointed bottom arm?

GTI6BOY

The ball joints can be purchased seperatly and pressed back in iirc

eob

From reading various threads back through the ages, doesn't seem so :( Seems to be easy enough to purchase a set of rosejointed bottom arms from the various rally builders, you'd think that it would be cost effective enough to buy arms where the bottom balljoint could be replaced.

Surely there's a trackrod style bottom balljoint available somewhere that could be adapted?

jengis

306 arms obviously have separate ball-joints. But they're longer and change the geometry significantly. Has nobody (cost effectively) utilised a 306 arm with customised balljoint ends that can be used to customise camber on 205, 309, 306, 405.. citroens?

Seems obvious to me but i'm not in that business. :(

Rippthrough

I've got a set but I haven't put the 205 arms into full production yet.

eob

How much, roughly, Rippthrough? I was talking to a guy who reckoned he could get them machined in China very cheaply, but, I'd prefer to buy European if possible.

The 306 balljoints seemed the same, the ones I bought, but I can't be sure, I'll have another look. I really think this is something that should be done. It's a joke spending €80 on an arm when all that needs replacing is an €8 balljoint. I'd love to replacing my balljoints once every six months or so.

Grahamrally

I'm working on weldable replacement ends to house spherical bearings instead of rose joints or ball joints. I'm considering a run of these and could offer fitting too. Not sure on cost, but the spherical bearings are about £5 ea and will last a long time. Also increases the strength of the whole jointed area unlike rose joints.

If you want some, or anybody else wants some, just log your interest with me and I'll see what I can do.

Graham

Edited by Grahamrally

Rippthrough
How much, roughly, Rippthrough? I was talking to a guy who reckoned he could get them machined in China very cheaply, but, I'd prefer to buy European if possible.

Well, mine are tubular T45 steel, so nowhere near as cheap as some chinese machined arms. Graham's solution may be cheaper than mine in that respect.

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this