• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Micro Dynamics Rl4 - No Spark At All!

skinner2k3

Just fitted a MD RL4 rev limiter to my carb'ed 1.9 GTI. Now it has no spark. Disconnect the signal wire and its fine.

There are three wires to connect to the limiter;

1. Coil 12v+ from the ignition switch - I have connected mine at the ign toggle - tested and is correct

2. Earth - as the limiter itself is fitted to my dash I have used the earth block under the steering column

3. A third wire which needs to connect to the -ve of the coil - almost certainly where my problem is!!!

At present I have used a now redundant wire in the original loom which used to connect the ECU to the coil -ve. It now runs from the coil -ve to the limiter. I have the coil set up with the small orinigally inlet mounted coil and an ignition amp. There are four terminals on the coil, a pair of +ve and a pair of -ve.

Any ideas what I have done wrong?????

skinner2k3

No suggestions at all???!!!!

pee vee

Seems Odd Ben!

im guessing it all works fine when you take the limiter out of the loop?

connect the +ve direct to the battery just to try it :blink:

skinner2k3

Thanks for the reply Phil.

I know, I cant figure out what is happening.

Yep, remove the -ve coil connection from the limiter and it runs fine, touch that wire back on a it cuts out.

I have tested the 12v supply and thats there as is the earth.

I am only guessing but I take it these spark limiters ground the signal from the hall sender to earth therefore preventing the coil from energising when the limit is reached???

Done a bit of research and if that is the case then I think I will check that the limiter is not permanently closed between the coil -ve connection and earth, should be easy enough to do.

pee vee

if its permanently closed, then its not letting the coil energise? am i right in thinking :s

cant quite picture it, sure there isnt a setting or something obvious thats been missed.

it took a while when we were messing about with richs to get it right. (~wiring was ok, it was the set up)

skinner2k3

To be honest, I am not entirely sure. Its either preventing it from energising or messing up the signal and making it de-energise at the wrong time?????

I checked all the wiring last night with a multimeter to ensure I did have a direct link to the coil +ve and -ve and that I had a good earth. All seemed correct.

Once I reconnected it all again and this time set the limiter allot higher, the car started!! I then turned the limit down to 6500 and still good!

The only problem now is the way it limits, if I set it to 6500 it splutters at about 5500 then keeps going, then cuts at 6500 and drops the revs back to about 6000. I thought these were meant to hold a set rev limit???

pee vee

Hi Ben. Did you get my message?

might be worth a try.

skinner2k3

Hi Phil

I did mate yeah, thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

I am going to double check everything tonight and run a fresh wire for the coil -ve and try routing a ground from the limiter direct to the battery -ve terminal.

Cheers

PS Will you be at combe on Saturday?

pee vee

let me know how it goes!

yeah should be up there! it'll be raining hard as usual for rally day though, i expect! lol

Sign in to follow this