• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daveyboyblack

Mi16 Oil Gauge Upgrade

daveyboyblack

Hi All,

Hopefully a quick question and a simple answer.. ^_^

I'm looking to put a more accurate oil pressure gauge in my mi16. Can anyone explain the options and if you've done this yourself let me know which parts you used and whether the results are worth it?

Background: Recently, the std gauge is reading very very low when warm, although responds well when engine is revved. The engine was rebuilt under 4000 miles ago and i've fitted an XU10 sump and oil pickup extension. The low pressure started during a hot summer day when the engine was being driven hard but for short periods (autosolo event).

I'm thinking that maybe i've used the wrong oil (10W40) or that there is actually something wrong, however seeing as i was planning on getting a better oil gauge anyway, this seems like a better idea to start with before I start investigating other possible reasons.

I've seen one installed in one of the air vents which i'd be happy to do.... but what sender/gauge do I buy. I understand the basic differences between a capillary or electrical gauge, but are these both able to be used and are accurate and easy to install?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Cameron

Personally, I would go for a digital one. You will have to buy the pressure sensor and gauge making it more expensive than a capillary, but it is a lot neater and you don't risk the copper tube breaking.

Jon_Bmw

Dave I was in a similar position, with the dash gauge being nigh on useless.

I bought a cheap nasty looking electrical gauge (Race X) from memory second hand although it had never been fitted. The sender that it came with fitted straight in place of the sender which provides the feed for the dash. In theory, I may have been able to reuse the standard peugeot sender, but thought better of it! I obviously lost the useless signal in the dash, but that doesn't bother me as its a track car really.

I fitted it where the stereo would be, not ideal for viewing pleasure, but you don't want to be driving looking at this gauge all the time. You want to be focused on driving I find. Let the passenger if you have one worry about that.

My dash gauge read about the same as yours, but you'll be pleased to know:

Cold Idle :70 psi

Hot Idle :35-40 psi

Any Revs: 70psi +

I am sure your engine is spot on. ^_^

Sign in to follow this