• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

Difference Between Rear Stub Axle

B1ack_Mi16

Just thought I would post these two photos for reference. Not that this is up for discussion very often, but now and then it's mentioned.

As we know the really old rear beams have some small differences to the newer style ones. The rear stub axles and hence also trailing arms are a tad different between the two.

post-3331-1220995313_thumb.jpg

bren_1.3

ive only ever seen the top type of stub axle.. how does the bottom style stub axle locate in the trailing arm if not on a spline?

B1ack_Mi16
ive only ever seen the top type of stub axle.. how does the bottom style stub axle locate in the trailing arm if not on a spline?

It realy doesn't have to locate on the splines as it has a torx style hole on the back you can keep it in place with when tightening the hub nut, but it's a little more work, probably why they changed the design :lol:

I've only seen this type of shaft once, and it came from a 1984 205 GTi 1.6

taylorspug

Is it just the way the picture has been taken or is the 'early' one longer aswell?

B1ack_Mi16
Is it just the way the picture has been taken or is the 'early' one longer aswell?

Earlier is a little bit longer, but then the stop ring is further in compared to the "stop-lip" on the new one.

Not got them here now but I think it's a tad longer.

taylorspug

Was there any difference in the bearings or arms then in order to fully clamp the bearing with the hub nut?

B1ack_Mi16
Was there any difference in the bearings or arms then in order to fully clamp the bearing with the hub nut?

Honestly can't remember, as I took this beam apart 7 years ago and car is sold long time ago.

I just happened to find that one ole-style stub axle in the mess in my garage while cleaning up :lol:

pug_ham

I've never seen any tub axles like that either so maybe they are just on the very earliest cars with the 30 / 28 splined tosion bars.

I don't know of any actual difference except the early cars had the bearing fitted into the hub ala 1.9 hubs. You couldn't replace one without doing the other.

Can't find a part number breakdown on service box either. :lol:

Graham.

16v205

I have the old style stubs on my rear beam, only found out when knocking them out to change from drums to disks.

cybernck

have you still got any other components from that very early beam?

Sign in to follow this