• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andychalmers

Fuel Pump Wiring On Rally Car

andychalmers

What is the best way (for rallying i.e. simple) to wire the electric fuel pump in a 205 GTI?

I want to bin all the crap such as tacho relay etc and make it less likely to fail. So in basic terms live straight to pump, so what switches, fuses, relays etc do i need?

RossD

On my project build, I've wired a relay into the switched live from the ignition switch which then feeds the fuel pump. I think thats the simplest way to do it, unless you want to actually manually switch the fuel pump.

Careful though, there are several switched +12v feeds, only one of them is 12v when cranking though - You need this.

Spiky

not quite the same but close.

i have 2 fuel pumps.

which have a relay and a fuse EACH

the trigger from the ECU, switch's on the relay's which then feeds 2 30a cables to each fuel pump

DSC05112.jpg

DSC05159.jpg

andychalmers

cheers guys, i forgot to mention I have a master cut off switch, omex 500 ECU, Jenvey TB's and a switch on the pump. Car is purly used for rallying, no road milage. My pump just stopped working but a direct live works fine, its running what looks like a 306 fuel relay with shed loads of wires going everywhere. This needs binning.

Spikey, your install sounds mint, can let me know what equipment you have & how its connected etc as I would like to run 2 pumps, totally separate with switches. Also what rating fuse do you use?

Spiky

i run 30/35 amp cable from the perm live (aftercut fia cut off switch, the switch kills the power)

to 2 fuses (25amp) then to two relays

the relays are switch from the ecu output.

once switch switch, i run 2 30/35 amp cables to the fuel pumps

so the ecu turns on both the same time :lol:

got all my stuff from vehicle wiring products

Sandy

I strongly advise that you have it ECU controlled or at the least with an inertia switch (although that can be bothersome if it's too sensitive). You really want the pump to cut instantly in an accident.

The OMEX 500 can control the pump, but I think it shares the output with the tacho or similar, so you can only have one or the other.

andychalmers

Thanks lads again, all good info. Spikey, what hardware setup do you have? make of pumps etc

cheers

Spiky
Thanks lads again, all good info. Spikey, what hardware setup do you have? make of pumps etc

cheers

a std pump in the tank to fill my swirl pot

and a cosworth grp a pump (044) behind my seat (soon to be relocated under neath. by the rear beam

Sign in to follow this