• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skanny

Removing Heater Matrix

skanny

Following on from my lack of heating and fan blower thread i have detected a leak coming from the matrix.

I did one on my old 1992 diesel and cant remember how i did it.

I have managed to loosen most of the dash in front of the heater matrix 'box' but cant figure out how to undo the lefthand side of it )the bit by the right knee of the passenger) it seems to all be one part the goes off in to the glove box.

Any ideas?

Some bright spark will be along in a mo to tell me i dont need to remove any trim at all no doubt!

Also are there differnt matrix's for different years?

Edited by skanny

jord294
Following on from my lack of heating and fan blower thread i have detected a leak coming from the matrix.

I did one on my old 1992 diesel and cant remember how i did it.

I have managed to loosen most of the dash in front of the heater matrix 'box' but cant figure out how to undo the lefthand side of it )the bit by the right knee of the passenger) it seems to all be one part the goes off in to the glove box.

Any ideas?

Some bright spark will be along in a mo to tell me i dont need to remove any trim at all no doubt!

Also are there differnt matrix's for different years?

aha! a job i have to do myself on a 309

i made the mistake the first time i did one by removing all the front, when in fact, all you need to do, is remove centre console and drivers side type glovebox, undo a couple of screws and matrix should pull out into drivers side footwell.

doing mine tomorrow

pug_ham

It can be done without removing the centre console but the lower dash panel in front of the drivers seat needs to come off to make it easiest.

Buy a heater matrix & you should get everything needed to replace it except for fresh coolant obviously.

• Drain the cooling system, remove the screws for the lower dash (not forgetting the hidden screws under the air vent & awkward one by the door jam).

• The matrix is held into the heater box by two screws & has two pipes coming from the bulkhead which also run through a clip on the heater box. (one screw)

• Remove the heater pipes (two screws each, usually hex head with phillips centre). Be warned, even with the system drained there will be some coolant still in the heater section so prepare for a spill when you remove the pipes from the matrix.

• Undo the jubilee clips onto the heater pipes in the engine bay side of the bulkhead & remove the hoses from them. There is also a 10mm nut over a plate which seals the pipes & hold them in the bulkhead, remove these to get them right out. The new matrix kit should come with new pipes & the seals for where they fit into the matrix.

• Pull the matrix out of the heater box, also a chance of spillage here.

• Fit the protective foam around the edge of the new matrix & slide it carefully back into the heater box so you do as little damage to the fins as possible.

• Fit the two screws to hold it in & then fit the two pipes that run through the bulkhead. These are specifically shaped & sized so they can't be fitted in the wrong place.

• Refit the hoses to the new pipes in the engine bay.

• Check all connections are tight, open the bleed screw on the pipe to the bulkhead & on top of the thermostat housing & slowly fill the system up. When coolant starts to flow from each bleed screw tighten them up & fill until it flows from the other. (heater hose should be first).

• Continue to fill intil you can see water in the top of the expansion tank.

• Start the engine & run it at idle without the cap on the expansion tank for a good few minutes to help bleed any air out. You can leave it off for the full cycle until the fan has cut in twice but its up to you.

• Allow to cool for a while & check for any leaks.

• Refit lower dash panel, check expansion tank level, fit cap & run it again just to be sure you are leak free.

Job done, around two to three hours hopefully.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

Fox

Fantastic guide pugtorque, I'll be attempting this soon, its getting a bit chilly with no heater!

Sign in to follow this