• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mercury

Adjusting The Idle On The 205 Gti

mercury

Hello Guys,

cant seem to get this right. Finally got the pug running great but the idle is all stuffed up. When i adjust it too low, its way to low and it jumps all around, i can only get it stable at high revs around 1200. But this is too high for a 1988 205 gti isnt it?

The reason the idle screw was even touched was because of this NRMA guy who just did it without telling me. One of the grommet on the hose fell off and stalled the car and wouldnt start. I found out it was the grommet so we taped it up temporarily then he adjusted the screw to 1500 "to help it get home"

anyone had any luck with a tampered idle screw on the throttle body before?

Cheers,

Merc

pug_ham
i can only get it stable at high revs around 1200. But this is too high for a 1988 205 gti isnt it?

1200 rpm is to high imo, with everything set up nicely & clean you should be able to get it down to a steady 900rpm or lower but best to aim for around 1000rpm with all lights, heater & heated rear window on imo.

anyone had any luck with a tampered idle screw on the throttle body before?

If you mean the small idle stop screw on the throttle body, it isn't adjusted to set the idle speed imo, you just adjust the brass screw for the bypass air to set it.

Graham.

RINRIN

Do you have any pics where we can adjust the idle

pug_ham
Do you have any pics where we can adjust the idle

This topic cover it pretty well with a picture showing the idle adjustment screw.

There are two throttle bodies, one shown in that topic with a hex head screw & a recessed one as in this picture.

Graham.

RINRIN

Thanks mate,

It is on the throttle body

Sign in to follow this