• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Pictures Of Bulkhead Mods For Mi16 Manifold Clearance

philfingers

I'm going to mod the shell of my car to accept the std Mi16 ex manifold. Does anyone have any pics of this done. There's a black car on DES Developments site which is the kind of thing I'm looking for but need more close up detail.

If anyone can help drop me a PM and I'll reply with my email address or something, unless they#re posted on the web already,

thanks,

Phil

ps I'm not interested in angle plates, modified manifolds etc even tho these are easier options. I want to be able to replace a std manifold if required.

Baz

506039-ab0-00co_medium.jpg

:o sorry couldn't resist!! :ph34r:

Have a look at one of returnofjim's project thread's, i'm sure it's one of his i've seen that's a fairly tidy way of removing & boxing the std bulkhead for clearance. :)

jonnie205

best to start chopping out bulkhead until engine sist there on a std lower mount. bend sheet steel to suit and mig into place, you will have to pulse weld the plate in as sheetmetal bodywork is difficult to weld properly and the bulkhead is a very important part of shell in terms of strength

jackherer
ps I'm not interested in angle plates, modified manifolds etc even tho these are easier options. I want to be able to replace a std manifold if required.

Thats exactly why I use a reangling plate to fit Mi16s to 205s, everything is then standard and just bolts on, the manifold AND the shell.

petert

You just need an oxy torch, mig welder, angle grinder and some extra mild steel sheet.

Stu

Heres how i did mine mate, i too didnt want to use a modded manifold or plate, its done 1400 miles so far without a hint of bother!

th_205001.jpg

Probably should have painted it up in the right colour mind.. :)

philfingers

My thinking with the angla plates is that whilst it's easy to fit when the motors out, get it all lined up etc I'm thinking it's difficult in situ and you could end up with edges and mismatches to screw up the gas flow. Would be a lot easier tho.

Stu did you remove the heater box to do this? If I have to then it's seats out, cage out, dash out etc etc. Big job.

There was me determined to use a std mainfold and mod the shell. . .. . . . .I'll pass on the lump hammer tho Baz!

jackherer
My thinking with the angla plates is that whilst it's easy to fit when the motors out, get it all lined up etc I'm thinking it's difficult in situ and you could end up with edges and mismatches to screw up the gas flow. Would be a lot easier tho.

I used a QEP plate with two standard gaskets (although Matt @ QEP recommends exhaust paste) to replace a reangled manifold and IMO it was actually easier to fit than a standard manifold on studs due to the allen head bolts tightened using a ball end allen key which passes the manifold pipes better than a socket and extension. In fact its so easy I use allen headed bolts even on standard manifolds now. I didn't notice any difference with the engine afterwards either, it seemed to pull just as well and when I removed it I didn't see any soot marks to indicate a mismatch.

Stu did you remove the heater box to do this? If I have to then it's seats out, cage out, dash out etc etc. Big job.

You would definitely have to take the dash and heater out to modify the bulkhead.

Tom Fenton

If you are worried about a mismatch you could fit the angle plate to the cylinder head with it out of the car, and then dowel it in place. That way it can only go back in the same position, and then all you have to do is get the manifold in the right place.

philfingers

Tom, yes dowelling maybe an option. Who else makes the angle (reangle!) plates and what sort of money are they?

Would seem a hell of a lot easier than removing the cage, dash and heater etc!

Swazy

Didn´t have to modify something by using 4-1 exhaust manifold

1573933fm7.th.jpg

Batfink

is that the maniflow one?

philfingers

That'll not be easy to fit!

I've gone against eveything I said and bought a PRD angled one!

At least then i don't need to arse around removing the cage, dash, heater, carpets etc etc!

Swazy
That'll not be easy to fit!

I've gone against eveything I said and bought a PRD angled one!

At least then i don't need to arse around removing the cage, dash, heater, carpets etc etc!

This one i bought from tt-turbo matches exactly, i didn´t had to change something on the shell etc

philfingers

I've bought the PRD one but now I have the shell stripped so I'm going to do the bulkhead mods while it's apart. Will post some pics after,

phil

Sign in to follow this