• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DSYKES5500

Would This Kit Be Ok?

DSYKES5500

POR Starter Kit from Frost

9253.jpg

To do the chassis rails after I have removed all the stonechip and surface rust with my Dremel? I've removed a section of stonechip where water was sat behind and got it back to bare metal, no areas have gone through at all, which made me feel better!

Will I have enough with this kit or should I buy the larger versions? and will I need a top coat of paint to go over the POR-15 or do I just put stonechip over that and spray it body colour?

Then should I get the insides of the rails waxoyled?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions but I want to do this the right way.

Dan

Paintguy

There isn't a lot in those small tins of POR 15, but it might be just enough to do your chassis rails. If you decide to buy some more, then look at their Chassis Painting kit, as it contains more of the POR 15, and 3 tins of chassis black, which is the ideal paint to go over the top. Either way, you don't actually need to paint over the POR, but it will lose it's colour over time, and the surface turns kind of 'chalky'. It doesn't affect it's performance, but doesn't look great. Stonechip then paint over it would be ideal if you're planning to do that. Look carefully at the instructions though, as POR15 is fussy stuff to overcoat.

Yes, I'd 'waxoyl' the insides of the rails while your at it, but look at some of the Dinitrol products instead, as they come highly recommended (also sold on Frost's).

DSYKES5500

OK, so if I buy that kit, then this kit:

Chassis Painting Kit

9306.jpg

So that I've got some extra POR15 for things such as the battery tray and ECU tray and enough chassis paint. Then this for inside the chassis rails:

Dinitrol Cavity Wax

8295.jpg

and the spray hose attachment.

Should I be good to go or do I need anything else?

Just noticed this Dinitrol product: Dinitrol 3125

9044.jpg

"A specially formulated wax which penetrates rust and dirt preventing further corrosion. Use on open surfaces or cavities. Even damp and dirty surfaces will not affect its superb performance."

Would this be better than the cavity wax as it will creep into any rusted areas inside the chassis beams?

I'm quite looking forward to restoring bits and bobs like this on the car, the only thing is the Dremel against the metal of the car makes an awful lot of noise (I've borrowed some construction ear protectors from work) but it might start to annoy the neighbours.......

Thanks for the advice so far Andy :blush:

Edited by DSYKES5500

Paintguy

The POR kit is exactly the one I was suggesting :(

As for the Dinitrol, I think the 3125 would suit you better, as the cavity wax is more for protecting new cars or panels I reckon. It will need an applicator gun though. Frost do a good one with an extension hose for getting deep into cavities, but you may be able to find one cheaper if you hunt around.

DSYKES5500

Ahh, so I'll need a compressor. Suppose I can do that job last at my father-in-laws, he's got a compressor. Oh and lots of industrial tools that will FAR outperform the Dremel...... Better get grovelling!!

HERMAN

Just seen in the screwfix catalog that they are doing a small compressor for diy work at £60 I think it comes with a load of tools aswell. Have a look on there web site.

Sign in to follow this