• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mercury

Your Opinion : How Is My Soldering?

mercury

Hey guys,

a few weeks ago i found the cause of my starting problems. Basically i would lose spark sometimes lol.

It al came down to the wire that connects to the dizzy.

The 1st pic is of the poor condition it is in.

2nd pic is my first ever attempt at soldering something.

Your opinion would be great. Will it be ok? DO i need to make adjustments?

Also what do i do with the wrap around wire or the earth i believe. It was just hanging on the side when i took it out... Do i just wrap that around with electric tape?

also what is the best way of preventing those two wires to touch? Can i just pour some clear TARZAN GRIP all purpose adhesive?

Cheers,

Merc

post-12282-1220195621_thumb.jpg

post-12282-1220195628_thumb.jpg

Edited by mercury

platty

Looks ok, just need to tidy up the loose wire. You could have put some heat shrink over the cable to insulate the bare cables. I used to build printed circuit boards many moons ago, and we used normal silicon sealant to insulate very closely terminated connections like that. You could use that or some black rubber sealant, im sure Halfruads sell a little tube.

Edit: Mind you, last time I was in Oz.....there wasnt so many Halfords stores knocking about

Should have read your location first :)

Edited by platty

large

From what i can see they should hold but look like dry joints. Heat shrink is good at stoping things shorting or you could use silly putty :)

Whan soldering use the iron to heat the part/wire you want to solder then put the solder on them, dont heat the solder and blob it onto cold wire/conecter. :lol:

mercury
From what i can see they should hold but look like dry joints. Heat shrink is good at stoping things shorting or you could use silly putty :)

Whan soldering use the iron to heat the part/wire you want to solder then put the solder on them, dont heat the solder and blob it onto cold wire/conecter. :lol:

yeh thats what i tried to do but its so small and the black plastic bit is so close to it. I couldnt keep my hands steady thus couldnt heat the wire hot enough for the solder to melt on there.

What are dry joints btw?

Merc

mercury

oh also im thinking of using this to pour over each wire...

what you guys think?

post-12282-1220199965_thumb.jpg

evojay71
oh also im thinking of using this to pour over each wire...

what you guys think?

Any chance of sending me a tube of that sticky sticky over here so I can glue my girlfriends mouth shut when I'm working on my rally car,super glue aint what it used to be!!!!! :):P:D

jimistdt

Thats Glue, Mercury, you want Silicone Sealant. General Purpose waterproof stuff that doesn't stay sticky after.

Jimi

mercury
Thats Glue, Mercury, you want Silicone Sealant. General Purpose waterproof stuff that doesn't stay sticky after.

Jimi

actually the tarzan grip brand can also be used as a sealant. its this clear stuff that turns rubbery when dry. i actaully poured it in the wires and it turned out great. The wires will never touch now and it saved me 17 bux buying some sealant from the store lol. Tested the wire also with an amp metre, works great. Just a headsup for the Aussies out there that have this handy in their cupboard lol.

Cheers,

Merc

SeanO'Connor

Next time you solder a wire;

1. strip the cables.

2. twist them so all the cores are uniform.

3. warm the iron so that solder melts and flows freely on it ( it is then warm enough)

4. put the soldering iron uder the wire and heat the wire, place the solder on top of the wire untill it flows freely(this process is called tinning), then remove the solder and iron.

5. wait for the solder to cool, a good joint should be shiny, not dull.

6. carry out the same procedure for the other end you are soldering.

7. then put both pieces together and apply heat from the iron. You should see the solder flow, if neccesary add a bit more, again, your soldered joint should look shiny, not dull (dull solder is usually a dry joint)

REMEMBER THIS AND YOU WILL BE FINE< STRIP TWIST AND TIN!

Sign in to follow this