• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest old64er

Noisy Rear Wheel Bearings? S

Guest old64er

This is just for cost info only.

Being a typical Yorkshireman i phoned around for the best price as i just wanted to change the bearing and not the hub assembly.

After a few phone calls it became apparent that getting just the bearing was a futile exercise as no-one now really just stocks the bearings(was different when i ran the same car 15 years ago).

Worst quote was for £62+vat from Andrew Page. Best price was £27+vat from Unipart (formally Partco).

I must stress that most parts suppliers are open to some serious haggling.

the part was quoted at 38+vat to start with.

Tom Fenton

On the 1900's the bearing is integral with the hub and cannot be changed seperately, they are usually dear so £27+VAT sounds a decent price.

Guest old64er
On the 1900's the bearing is integral with the hub and cannot be changed seperately, they are usually dear so £27+VAT sounds a decent price.

Are you sure Tom, if they put them in, you can usually get them out.

I could have got just the bearing for £17 with the vat but didnt fancy getting the welder out to remove the outer races.

I am sure i removed one on my last one but it was a while ago. it could have been a few cars come to think of it.

Tom Fenton

The hub is cast, and then the inner race is machined directly into it, so there is no way of replacing the worn parts. This is how it has been on the ones I have had in bits anyhow. A lot of modern stuff seems to be like this now, my mates Mondeo as an example is the same on the rear wheel bearing.

Sign in to follow this