• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Knocking Front End

gti_al

My car is knocking pretty loudly under full power in a straight line. I thought it was the driveshafts, but it doesn't do it in corners

Would a really bad driveshaft knock loudly in a straight line, but be fine in tight corners. It really only seems to happen when i am giving it lots away from a standstill. Should i be looking at other things though - perhaps drop links or something?

bluespanner

ARB drop links sieze on the lower joint. For some strange reason, this causes knocking and bumping. Does yours also do it in reverse?

j_turnell

Check subframe bolts are tight and condition of your bottom engine mount.

gti_al

I've had issues with subframe bolts in the past... that is a good point

I noticed one drop link has some play in it too, and with my engine being lowered 25mm, and the car 40mm the ARB sits close to a few things. I immediately suspected the driveshafts as the boots have recently split again, but i'm thinking the noise i'm hearing might be something else

Thanks guys

gti_al

How much should the ARB/droplinks move? I just played with them and there is a fair bit of movement and i think i can hear my noise

edbar

I had a very similar problem, turned out to be the drop links and top mounts were absolutely knackered. :) They do move slightly because they are rose joints, but when they move very freely in your hand chances are they're shot.

gti_al

Had the boots replaced and disconnected the front ARB. The noise has gone, so it looks like it was a droplink. Interestingly i much prefer the feel of the front end without the ARB! I wasn't expecting to notice it, but it is definately gripping better out of corners. I'm wondering if the standard spring rates are too soft to leave it like this though

Sign in to follow this