• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark D

Td Gearbox

Guest Mark D

Hello all,

Quite new to all this so will be asking a few questions and really grateful for the help.

I take it my 205 Turbo diesel is a XU engine?? I have been toying with idea of tinkering and noted some of advice given on the forum. Including fitting a 306 TD engine in which people say is a straight swop, would I need any other parts.

Also would a GTi-6 six speed box fit the 205 engine and would this give a slightly higher top end at sensible revs as well as the same 'fun' at lower revs?

Apart from the box any other parts needed?

Mark

BackStreetRacecars

I could be wrong here..... dont kill me if I am... but is it the 1.7 or the 1.8?? could i be right in saying that it could be a dw series engine? Could be some differences...

Goliath

The gti-6 box would fit but it dosent have longer ratios then your deisel box iirc they are about the same or the deisel longer. you shouldnt have trouble with high revs on a deisel?! Gti-6 would give you less right hand lock too.

Alastairh

Never was a 1700.

Yes your Derv is a Xu, and yes the 306 lump will fit just like a 418/218 Rover series.

As for the 6 box. I wouldn't bother. Mainly the steering lock issue, plus its generally a short box that requires constant changing. Not what you want on a torquey Derv, hence why they have long gear ratios.

Al

foreigner
Hello all,

Quite new to all this so will be asking a few questions and really grateful for the help.

I take it my 205 Turbo diesel is a XU engine?? I have been toying with idea of tinkering and noted some of advice given on the forum. Including fitting a 306 TD engine in which people say is a straight swop, would I need any other parts.

Also would a GTi-6 six speed box fit the 205 engine and would this give a slightly higher top end at sensible revs as well as the same 'fun' at lower revs?

Apart from the box any other parts needed?

Mark

without reading any comments this is what I am going to do:

1.9td from 306/405/zx/xantia/605 - engine

205 td - gearbox

I used to have gti with 306td+box but you have to change driveshafts because gti are too long.

If you use 205 td gearbox it should be better imo however did not tried.

If you decide 306 gearbox can you sell me your 205 td box.

thanx. any questions about the conversion just ask.

Guest Mark D

Hello all.

Thanks for the replies, loads of information.It looks like I will be scanning free adverts, local shops and eBay for a 306 diesel turbo.

Again thanks for the speedy help.

Mark

pug_ham

The 205TD has a 1769cc XUD7T engine fitted which in some cases (but not very often) called a 1.7 engine but usually its considered a 1.8 one.

Rover 218 / 418 is the same engine just with an intercooler fitted which was never done in the 205 TD but was on the 309.

As said, the GTi-6 box would give higher rpm at 70mph & due to the power delivery of the TD engine longer ratios are better suited.

Graham.

foreigner
The 205TD has a 1769cc XUD7T engine fitted which in some cases (but not very often) called a 1.7 engine but usually its considered a 1.8 one.

Rover 218 / 418 is the same engine just with an intercooler fitted which was never done in the 205 TD but was on the 309.

As said, the GTi-6 box would give higher rpm at 70mph & due to the power delivery of the TD engine longer ratios are better suited.

Graham.

Isn't top rpm of td engine about 4k and gti-6 engine which I presume is petrol 2.0 is about 6-7. which means using gti-6 box on td would make very slow car.

pug_ham

The limiter on the diesel is around 4500rpm so it'd be flat out at around 100 mph max.

It wouldn't make it a much slower car, possibly quicker than a normal TD in the mid range but it wouldn't have as high a top speed.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this