• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DSYKES5500

Picture Of The Rust I Found

DSYKES5500

I was gutted to find this and would like to get it to a bodyshop for repair, the only thing is, I don't want to be told it needs this and that when it only needs x doing to it. Also what are "standard" procedures when attacking a job like this? I'd expect the immediate area to be stripped of components, taken back to metal, treated etc. so that rust is put at bay for a lot longer and then made back to look factory again. Would a welded plate or part of another inner wing be used or the complete panel cut out of the car and replaced?

Any advice would be appreciated as I feel quite sick after finding this :)

http://www.saxosportsclub.com/modules/copp..._inner_wing.jpg

welshpug

either cut out and replace with new metal or use a repair section, which is a lot more involved.

weejimmy

thats prety common on 205s only real way to do it properly is to cut it out and weld new metal in.

welshpug

that's a Phase 2 106, is the wheelarch liner missing? doesnt the ECU sit there?

dirtdog

this is a 106 yea?

i wouldnt say that the rust looks that bad at all. have you got the inner arches fitted? can u see what its like underneath that?

i'm no expert but here goes..

remove anything brittle/flaky and just generally anything nasty. sand paper,then use rust treatment stuff..(i use something called krust) im sure there is better and worse stuff to use. primer, weld a patch or a plate..if u want it neat and standard looking i'd go for a plate. and make sure you paint that also to stop it rusting in future

edit..oops. beat me too it :)

Edited by dirtdog

DSYKES5500

Yeah, the arch liner is out. This all started last week when the washer jet pump packed up, I took the arch liner out to get to the bottle to get the pump off and noticed the rot. My heart sank when I found it, I've just unbolted the ECU and tray to take a pic. There's some on the main beam where the inner arch meets it too. It'd be great to get it back to normal and for it to last a while longer as I really don't intend to sell the car for a long while :)

DSYKES5500

Here's a pic of underneath, I've Dremelled around the area and it's bare metal, but it has crept to the bottom of the suspension turret, which is only minor surface rust. Should I ask whoever I take it to to dig out the sealant and sort any rust and then reseal and treat the whole area?

vts_inner_wing_underneath.jpg

Tom Fenton

Personally I've repaired a lot worse and wouldn't be overly worried about that. Yes it will need welding though. The way I would tackle it is to cut out the affected area, then cut a section to weld in place and butt weld it in. By doing this the weld can be ground back thus making the repaired area flush with the inner wing so it looks a tidy job rather than sticking out like a sore thumb.

welshpug

it would be better to cut out the affected metal and weld in new, is the area on the strut tower surface or has it penetrated the panel?

DSYKES5500

Just surface, it shines as soon as you touch it with the Dremel with the grinder bit on it. I'd do it over the course of a few weeks with the Dremel to get all the rust off but I really don't have the time or space and the dark nights are coming :)

KRISKARRERA

Is it structural though? If not..... get out the Hammerite! :)

Tom Fenton

If it is within 12" of a suspension mounting point (which it undoubtably is, being next to the susp turret) then it is deemed structural and can fail an MOT test.

As for Hammerite its dreadful stuff, never ever put this on a car, it is suitable for a garden gate and thats about it.

Fox

It went on my ph1 rallye there.

th_Image024.jpg

th_Image024.jpg

th_Image053.jpg

th_Image055.jpg

th_Image056.jpg

DSYKES5500

Oh God, this won't be an engine out job will it?!?

dirtdog

i wouldnt have thought so. the rust on the phase 1rallye is worse than on your ph2. ou should be able to do it without taking hardly anything off

Fox
Oh God, this won't be an engine out job will it?!?

Nah, I was just swapping the engine when I found it.

Taking the slam panel off makes it loads easier to get it though.

Cut it out, make a template, weld it in, bobs your uncle!

The hole for the washer jet bottle was made by drilling loads of holes, then a hammer and chisel to cut out the hole.

Not the best job I've ever done but it did the job and is still rust free!

Sign in to follow this