• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick9one1

What Is This Cable To Distibutor?

nick9one1

Ive noticed that the cable/unit screwed to the side of the dizzy is very worn (exposed wires) and wondered what it was so i can order another.

dsc00674gx0.th.jpg

Cheers,

Nick

evojay71

All I can find in a manual is it's called a wiring plug and in my experience very temprimental if they're not 100%,had trouble with mine and you wont start the car when it decides to have a strop :) There's a part number thread on here and you may find it listed on there,if not explain when you go to the dealer what it is and show them the wire you need on the screen.

Edited by evojay71

Pugnut

its the connector for the pickup that triggers the ignition amp. this triggers the ignition so its pretty important. iirc its about £20 + vat from the main dealer. I bought a vacuum advance unit for my distributor last year and received this wire instead. It took a bit of sussing out with the parts guy (who is pretty clued up). You are best to take the wire AND the bosh part number from your dizzy to the main dealer so that its their fault not yours.

mercury

what series is your 205 gti?

Mine is a 1988 model which i think is a series 1, but my cable looks diffrent from yours.

(pics attached)

why is this so?

post-12282-1219665326_thumb.jpg

Arahan

His pic is of the end that screws onto the dizzy, yours is of the connector end.

mercury
His pic is of the end that screws onto the dizzy, yours is of the connector end.

the pic i showed is also the dizzy end. I think we Aussie spec 205 gti's may have come with a different distributor cable. Can anyone confrim?

Cheers,

Merc

Arahan

Yeah i noticed that about 20mins ago fron another pic you've posted in another thread! Never seen a dizzy end like that before!

mercury
Yeah i noticed that about 20mins ago fron another pic you've posted in another thread! Never seen a dizzy end like that before!

yeh its weird, really need a new one but not sure what to order now lol. Someone said 1.6 but i have a 1.9 so im thinking maybe Aussie 205's got a 1.6 dizzy. I wonder what the difference is and if there isa huge perfromance difference between UK spec and Aussie spec series 1s.

Arahan

I think even though yours looks different it still plugs in the same, just seems to have a different screw attatchment. Ive got a UK 1.6 phase 1 dizzy sat infront of me now, and its the same as the pic at the top!

Grim.Badger

The dizzy that has female HT leads has a different connector than the one with the male leads for some reason; if someone can find the part numbers that would be great as I need a new one as well. I may try and find it myself on the parts catalogue if I remember.

mercury
I think even though yours looks different it still plugs in the same, just seems to have a different screw attatchment. Ive got a UK 1.6 phase 1 dizzy sat infront of me now, and its the same as the pic at the top!

if that is the case than that means Aussie spec 205 gti series 1's came with a 1.6 dizzy.

Damn lol.

Grim.Badger

The lead for the bosch dizzy has the part number 5911 32. This is the lead that has the bigger end which connects to the dizzy; the one with the smaller end is the Ducellier (sp?) and the wire doesn't seem to be sold separately and comes as part of the coil kit.

mercury

so apprently the older 1.9's used the 1.6 dizzy. Hope this clears things up.

Thanks for the part no.s Grim.

Merc

mercury

hi guys,

anyone know what the wrap around braided wire around the entire wire connects to? Or is it just wrapped around there?

I recently fixed my wire but i have no clue what to do with that braided wire hanging on the side of it?

heres a pic

post-12282-1220240470_thumb.jpg

welshpug

its just a shield wire, doesn't connect to anything at the dizzy end :ph34r:

PVFCpug

I am having a missfire problem at the mo and am thinking of eliminating the pointless joint that is in this cable between the dizzy and Ignition Module. Would soldering and using heat shrink the way to go?

mercury

hi mate yes i soldered mine and tested it with a amp metre.

as far as shrink wrap it would be hard to gt the wrap around the two individual wires. Use some sort of silicon to cover them up so that they dont touch.

Edited by mercury

Sign in to follow this