• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tommer

309 Gti Beam On 205 Gti, Lowering?

Tommer

Hi all,

its been a bit quiet on the pug front with this crazy weather, my old 205 gti and new 309 gti beam sitting happily in my living room waiting for some action!

took the 205 beam apart yesterday and what a dusty rusty mess that was, no bearings left to speak of, just dust! so thats dead then!

getting the new 309 beam ready to go onto the car, (thanks to BackStreetRacecars - Chris) just want to check, can it go on at standard ride height or will it need to be lowered to match the 205?

any help appreciated, looking forward to getting her on the road!!

tommer

Edited by Tommer

jackherer

As 205s are a bit lighter they sit too high on 309 beams.

If your 309 beam has been recently rebuilt it should be easy to lower and if it hasn't been rebuilt there is not much point in fitting it without stripping it down to check it first and you can lower it at the same time.

jord294

i've recently fitted a 309 beam to my car.

at first it sat with the tyres flush with the arch trim. but i wanted the car to be sitting level with a full tank of fuel.

the original setting between shock absorber mounting points was 305mm, so i decided to re-adjust with a finished setting of 315mm between the shock absorber mounting points (iirc, for every 2mm adjustment between shock absorber mounting points, there is a 3mm increase in overall height of car between wheel and arch)

i used a dummy shock absorber, but a simple tape measure will do.

now the rear has been set to 315mm, the car sits perfect, and handles a lot better. i also have -35mm spax springs on the front

Tommer
As 205s are a bit lighter they sit too high on 309 beams.

If your 309 beam has been recently rebuilt it should be easy to lower and if it hasn't been rebuilt there is not much point in fitting it without stripping it down to check it first and you can lower it at the same time.

cheers for that, how much would it need to be lowered to sit at the right level?

pug_ham
cheers for that, how much would it need to be lowered to sit at the right level?

That almost impossible to say as each will vary due to the time its been together.

If you have standard front springs then a decent setting would be around 315mm-320mm between bolt centres but it'll be a matter of trial & error to get it right imo.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this