• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
axnutty

Final Issues With My Mi16 Conversion

axnutty

Just finished wiring in my BX 16v engine and cranked it over to find it works, with no water and no exhaust, so I turned it back off but gave myself the well done slap on the back of wiring success and went back to fabricting the downpipe.

However it has now decided it doesnt want to start again. Some faffin' about with multimeter's etc showed that the injectors werent getting power, which was traced back to the brown relay by the header tank being at fault... so hard wiring this relay the car runs again. But it doesnt appear to be the relay itself at fault as I'm not getting any voltage from the primary circuit at the relay plug. So where does this feed from? Why would it suddenly decide to stop working? Is it fused at any point?

My other issues are no rev counter which I believe to have connected under the dash correctly - and I suspect its a fault under the bonnet - where does the tacho take its feed from?, I also have 2 spare white wires under the dash which seem to be giving a constant +ve feed which are currently left hanging with what appears to be no detrimental effect to the cars running!

Very bad pic of the 2 spare white wires under dash

(The 2 blue ones in this pic im taking to be the unused "oil level" but maybe someone could confirm that?)

All in all pretty pleased I got it up and running as it hasnt turned over for 2 years and the loom was an incredible mess. I'd like to sort the relay problem out as Peugeot obviously decided it was a needed requirement... but could it be left hard wired without issue?

Edited by axnutty

Miles

The white wires are normally the Fuel Pump, The blue one's are the starter motor if from the 16v loom, I guess this is a 405 loom as the BX is green

Alan_M

I assume the BX loom is the same as the 405, except the colour of wires.

You should have 2 relays, one for the injectors and another for the pump. On turning ignition on, you should hear the injector relay (Brown) click, this feeds a common feed to the injectors and ICV. It also feeds the coil of the green relay which turns on the fuel pump for one second for priming. When engine running, the ECU controls the pump by switching it to earth to run.

jackherer
I assume the BX loom is the same as the 405, except the colour of wires.

They're actually remarkably different in many ways despite being functionally the same.

axnutty

Oops! Could have sworn i posted this in a different forum! Apologies!

Thanks guys I'll hopefully get a chance to attack the car at the weekend and get some better pics and wire numbers etc. and update. Was told the engine was from a BX... it has a steel sump too which i always thought identified it as a BX rather than 405 version???

pug_ham

Tacho takes its signal from the coil plug, pin 2 iirc.

What management system is it running, M1.3 or ML4.1?

The fuel pump (brown) relay is fed directly from the shunt box connection & there is a wire that runs from one the injection relay which is an ignition switched from the ignition across to the fuel pump relay on the ML4.1 loom I have. This closes the fuel pump relay sending power to the pump when the iigntition is in the run position.

On the ML4.1 loom I have here the brown relay is the fuel pump & the injection relay is black.

Is the brown relay by the header tank where you've put the ones in your loom or an original relay? (Not that I can think of a brown relay by the header tank. :ph34r:)

Graham.

Sign in to follow this