• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pa402

Help - Cant Undo Hub Nuts!

pa402

Trying to remove driveshafts and I cant get hub nuts to budge at all. I been using a large socket, with 5 foot extended metal pole (although that is bending a fair bit) and have now just snapped the socket bar where it goes into the 35mm socket. Any ideas how I can get these damn nuts off?

Or alternative is it possible to remove the driveshafts still attached to the hubs?

Any help welcome

Cheers

Paul

GLPoomobile

Yes, you can remove them with the hubs attached, if you really have no choice.

markw

had a similar problem took it to a local tyre place and they undone them with there impact gun,if you cant drive the car

go out and buy an impact driver sealey do one £5.99 plus vat from machine mart with 1/2" adapter,fit your 35mm onto

it and smack the fooker as hard as you can with a big hammer.

jonnie205

best borrow a 3/4 breaker bar and socket, slide scaffold bar over the end and job done, hub nuts is the only thing on a 205 which 1/2 is on its limit

pa402

Well managed to get the engine out with them still attached to hubs.

Cant wait till I need to reattach them!!

Thanks

stuart.m

As said, impact driver! Works a treat.

B1ack_Mi16

Also try heating it up a bit first with a heat gun...

johnnyboy666

managed to snap 2, 1/2" drive bars undoing mine, then decided to use a huuuuge (1 inch drive i think) bar from a mates farm for using on tractors :lol:

ricky123

i spent hours trying to get mine off then my neighbour came over with a blowtorch, heated it up then smacked it with a hammer and chizzle only took 15 mins

Guest cooper205

another way is to use a 1/2" drive bar with a short scafold bar over it and put the car into reverse and flick the starter over that should also undo it :wub:

Guest Mark D

Hi,

Heating up is normally a good option, using a breaker bar with a short rather than deep socket works as well for me, also tapping each of the flats with a thick pin punch and hammer .

Old trick, passed down from me Dad and a really old guy I was a trainee toolmaker with was to tighten the nut (or try to) first, this seems for some reason work. You don't have to actually make the nut visually move but applying a good amount of pressure as if tightening and then trying to release the nut seems to break any corrosion.

Mark

Veero

Had this with the 306 the other day. Bugger wouldn't move.

Put the steelie with a hole through the middle on (or use a 1.9 alloy with the centre cap removed) instead lowered the car back down, wedged a brick under the wheel the way it would turn being undone, then used a 2 1/2 ft breaker bar with a 1/" drive impact socket on it. Just came undone with a bit of grunt. No hammering heating or tapping. :wub:

Sign in to follow this