• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lybker

205 Wider Rear Track - Howto - Besides 309 Beam`?

lybker

Sorry I know this topic has been up some times, but I need more than the 2cm from a 309 rear beam...

I want to increase rear axle width by 10cm or more.

What rear beam will be easiest fit to my 205: 306, 405, 206, xsara, zx beam

And I have heard some have camber from factory - like the ZX has 1,2degree - is true? and if so - what of the above has this also...306 gti6 perhaps?

Help is highly appriciated - thx in advance

regards,

Lars

Edited by lybker

timmsy19

sounds like a 309 beam with zx trailing arm jobiie to me.

although thinking about it im not sure you will get that kind of width even with that.

ive heard the 306 beams fit with a fair bit of modification but till have the rear steer that the 306's come with

why increase the rear so wide anyway?

Edited by timmsy19

lybker

although thinking about it im not sure you will get that kind of width even with that.

ive heard the 306 beams fit with a fair bit of modification but till have the rear steer that the 306's come with

why increase the rear so wide anyway?

How will 306 rear steer influence trackperformance??

OK I had a look at a 306 beam and it looks to be possible - mountgs are about 10cm more apart than on the 205 - should not be to bad to make it fit - and the track is exactly 10cm wider....

...reason for it - I want to fit wider wings and 17" slicks:

this is the car:

http://www.efterz.com/lars/clubrace/9_8_20..._2008_9_aug.wmv

oh and yes - its a diesel... :-)

Edited by lybker

tom_m

just use spacers on the hubs, they aren't going to change the rear geometry, but the load on the wheel bearing will be higher.

welshpug

use longer stub axles and spacers to place the hubs further out, like an SBC camber kit, but more so.

welshpug

that's what I meant :o

pug_ham
Sorry I know this topic has been up some times, but I need more than the 2cm from a 309 rear beam...

:o

309 beam & ZX trailing arms will only give the same width as a standard 309 beam just with different toe in & camber due to the ZX arms.

And I have heard some have camber from factory - like the ZX has 1,2degree - is true? and if so - what of the above has this also...306 gti6 perhaps?

Year & Model Toe in (mm) Rear negative camber (degrees & minutes)

1985-92--205 GTi 1.6+1.9/Rallye; 3.60 0/50
1985-92--205+309 base; 3.10 0/50
1993on--205 Cab+van+base; 3.40 0/50
1986-90--309GTi; 3.80 0/50
1990-93--309GTi+GTi16S; 5.00 1/15
1994on--306 S16+GTi6; 4.20 1/20
997on--306 1.8 16v; 3.40 1/20
1998on Xsara base; 4.50 1/20
1998on Xsara VTS; 5.00 1/20
1993on ZX base+16v; 0.00 1/00

The 306 rear steer is easily cured by fitting some stiffer group N or solid Group A bushes isn't it? (Like those Stew205 has recently started making) just getting it to fit the 205 shell is quite a bit of work. I'm sure you could get some rear mount made up to aid the conversion though if you were good friends with a local machine shop.

Graham.

mmt

On 17" it´ll look like a tractor and I´ll still be faster:-)

You need 309 beam, ZX arms and your 15" slicks(infalted not flat).

/Martin

Powers
The 306 rear steer is easily cured by fitting some stiffer group N or solid Group A bushes isn't it? (Like those Stew205 has recently started making) just getting it to fit the 205 shell is quite a bit of work. I'm sure you could get some rear mount made up to aid the conversion though if you were good friends with a local machine shop.

Graham.

Exactly right. The 306 rear beam active steer is only due to the flex in the bushes and like Graham has mentioned above is reduced with group N mounts and removed with solid group A mounts.

The 306 beam can be used without too much effort you just need to redesign the mounts rather than modifying the shell.

Its alright quoting KRS competition parts but for 90% of us they are out of our price range.

brianthemagical

Can't you just be more selective with the offset? The width of the wheels is more important in the width f the car and beam than the diameter. Increasing the rear track will reduce the rear roll couple and more than likely produce speed sapping understeer, unless you alter the front.

timmsy19
:huh:

309 beam & ZX trailing arms will only give the same width as a standard 309 beam just with different toe in & camber due to the ZX arms.

sorry thats what i meant. was a verrrry long day yesterday :blush:

TRYNKEEPUP

i have fitted 15mm hub centric eibach spacers on my 1.9 for a number of years now, never had any trouble and there is a hub centre so the wheel centres up and fits a treat and the wheels stick out a treat.

lybker

thx for the great info...

Bought a 306 rear beam /axle - mounts look easy to convert. Could take a couple of pics.

Else lengthening the centerrod and putting a spacer behind to offset bearing / caliber also looks pretty easy also.

/Martin - you need to finish a race in order to beat me :-P (please discard my spin + hit the barrier at last race :-) - tried calling you a couple of days ago - U on vacation?

mmt

Before you fit that 306 beam remember to read the rules. You might not be able to put the 306 beam on within the rules.

I now found out why I spun several times last race. The rear wheels hits the inner wheelarch:-(

Yes I´m on holiday in Nice/france!

Send me a mail on my hotmailadress!

/Martin

lybker
Before you fit that 306 beam remember to read the rules. You might not be able to put the 306 beam on within the rules.

Yes I know - cant really get how a bmw can be 20cm wider than standard if the rules are not broken - even to put on a 309 beam is that ok?

Will pick it up - can´t see the difference to fitting a 306 beam compared to putting 2-5cm spacers between trailing arm and hub?!

Sign in to follow this