• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest johnty256

Engine And Gearbox Combination ?

Guest johnty256

hi i race autograss stock hatch gtis 1.6 8valve engines only and am having trouble keeping up with the vauxhalls and was just wundering if anyone could suggest an engine gearbox combination that would be suitable for racing on a soil field ?i currently have an xu5ja/b6d with be1 gearbox thanks

Baz

A search would uncover lots of useful info on this.

Not really many people can answer your question with regard to engine choice until they know what class you compete in and the regulations etc. But a CWP from something like an Mi16(4.4 FD) would be an easily findable swap to lower the ratios.

Guest johnty256

the perfect gearbox for my type of racing would have a shorter ratio first but a long second as i dont go much over second gear as its only a short track any ideas for a standard box or would i have to make one up to suit ?

thanks

johnty

jonand

You really need to play around with combinations of final drive ratios and tyre diameters to suit your usable rev range. I race a 200+ bhp S16 class 6, and use an Mi box with 4.4 final drive, tranX diff and 195/60x15 Alaskas. This is just about ideal, but I only use 2nd gear and it normally just peaks out at 7500rpm ish. I suggest that you assess whether you need longer or shorter overall gearing from what you are using at the moment, then go from there.

philfingers

drop me a PM with your email address Johnty and I'll send you the gearing excel spreadsheets

Guest johnty256

hi ive got my gti engine out and in the garage its a standard 1600 8valve and im fairly new to 205s so i was just wondering how do you tell what type the gearbox is ?

is there a tag on it somewere ?

and if so were ? any help will be greatly apreciated thanks

:):lol:

johnty

dan_cole69

hi johnty,

welcome to the site,

there is a tag on the gearbox somewhere but cant remember of the top of my head,

hope thats some help

dan

ps you have put this in the wrong topic :)

Goliath

Do you mean you want to tell if it is a BE1 or BE3? If so then when it was in the car where was reverse? if it was below fifth then it is BE3, if it was to the left of first then it is BE1.

You can also tell by the way the clutch are is, if it is on the front then its BE1 if its ontop then its BE3.

Miles

Yes there was a tag on the box, problem s it falls off within a couple of year's so the only real way is to remove the Diff cover, + with the amount that have been modded now the numbers really don;t mean allot

omega
the perfect gearbox for my type of racing would have a shorter ratio first but a long second as i dont go much over second gear as its only a short track any ideas for a standard box or would i have to make one up to suit ?

thanks

johnty

hi raced the grass for a number of years and the best way i found is to turn your 3 and 4 gear into another 1st and 2 then you can have a short track set up and a long track set up

Sign in to follow this