• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gtimon

Air?fuel Ratio - 02 Sensor ?

gtimon

My Trackday 205gti has no 02 lambda sensor system.

Now I recently fitted Bike carbs in place of the injection system. I want to monitor the Fuel mixture while on the track. I can either get one of the Ebay gauges/displays or use my Digi voltmeter to setup the Air/Fuel ratio monitoring the output voltage from the sensor. Once the Air/fuel is setup I shall remove the sensor and plug it.

I have a spare Binary 4 wire type (2 heaters, 1 earth and 1 signal) 02 sensor, would this give me a output voltage to monitor or do I have to get a 2 wire sensor.

thxs

Tom Fenton

In summary the cheap gauges and sensors are not really much use, as they can only monitor the air fuel ratio from the unburnt gases accurately at the "stochiometric" point, which is equal to lambda = 1 or an air fuel ratio of 14.7:1.

Away from these areas the narrow band sensor cannot accurately tell you what is going on. In addition it is also comparatively slow to react, meaning that by the time it is telling you that the engine is mega lean on full chat you have already holed a piston or done it some mischief.

What you need is a wideband lambda gauge and controller, these sensors are fast reacting, and accurate from 10:1 AFR up to 17:1 AFR. As most engines produce max power around the 12.5:1 area this range is ideal. Wideband lambda is also what the rolling road guys use when setting the car up, due to the accuracy and response time. I have personally got an AEM wideband kit and its a really useful thing, have a look on ebay for "AEM wideband" there are usually a few for sale, not cheap compared to a bog standard sensor though.

gtimon

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I've looked at these AEM's on Ebay and as you say they are expensive.

If these narrow band sensors are as you say slow and could cause damage, then why do the Manufacturers use them.

But can this type of sensor I have, give a voltage to monitor the Ratio.

Tom Fenton

Because the OEM manufacturers use a closed map that they spend hours perfecting, rather than the likes of us who strap on all sorts of go faster bits and hope for the best, LOL.

Do a search on Wikipedia etc but the basic jist is as I said above.

jonand

I too thought it would be useful to monitor / set up my bike carbs with the std narrow band sensor - particularly as I datalog my engine during race meetings. I was of the opinion that a voltage output (narrow band reads 0 - 1v) of around 0.85 at full load was about right - giving an A/F ratio of approx 12.5:1. My datalogs were telling me that I had acheived this. After several weeks of suffering a high end misfire, I had it on a rolling road for diagnostic checking and was told it was massively overfuelling - causing the misfire. The RR operator fitted his wide band sensor in place of the standard to determine this, and said the same as Tom i.e. narrow band only accurate around stoic (approx 0.5v on the narrow band). Re-jetted my R1's accordingly and cured problem.

Daz_C

I have a Brand New Innovate LC-1 Wide Band Controller and O2Sensor thats become surplus to requirements, all you'll need to add is a Gauge.

If your interested Pm me.

gtimon

Thanks for the replies.

Heard that a Diesel Lambda is a wideband sensor, could these be used. If the standard petrol ones are narrow band.

Just a thought. :)

Tom Fenton

Everything you need is in the kit, to fit it you need to drill a hole in the exhaust and weld the supplied boss onto the exhaust for the sensor to screw in. After that you need to give it a 12v supply and earth and then simply connect all the plugs together.

$220 is a bargain especially considering the current exchange rates, mine came from the states via a friend, and I'm sure it was more like $350 when I bought it 2 yrs ago.

wardy18
$220 is a bargain especially considering the current exchange rates, mine came from the states via a friend, and I'm sure it was more like $350 when I bought it 2 yrs ago.

Thats what i thought which is why i thought i would post it on here just be sure this is the right one and everything is there

I might invest in this when i get paid end of next week

They are £295 exc VAT and postage in the UK so £113 plus £30 ish postage is very good

jackherer

I've got an Innovate LC-1 but I also have an old gauge and probe that was fitted to a car I got ages ago, I have always assumed it was a useless narrow band toy but I just googled it and the page I found says its suitable for several different types of fuel which made me wonder if it could actually be wideband...? This is the page - http://www.dtmpower.com/fuelMeter.htm

Tom Fenton

Nope, thats a narrowband, the 4 wire sensor and wire colours are a dead giveaway, sorry!

jackherer

Cheers Tom, I'm actually glad its not because I think I chucked it away a while ago :o

tri_longer

I have downloaded the instructions for the Stack unit, looks fairly simple and if it's as good as the dash in my race car then I would be happy to be using one.

Certainly cheaper than the one from the US.

stack_lmabda.pdf

Edited by tri_longer

wardy18

not sure if its cheaper, US one os £113 + £25 postage, this one is £185 (exc VAT & postage)

looks good thou

would be good to know which is better, the Stack or the AEM kit?!?

gtimon
Might be worth having a look at this

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...pcode=STAST3401

Correct me if I'm wrong, But is this just for the gauge and still have to get a sensor. ??

Anyway, thanks all.

I think I'm going across the big pond with Ebay, unless anyone know of a better deal.

Thanks

Edited by gtimon

Sign in to follow this