• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Friday Brain Teaser

kate205gti

what makes a noise like a bag of very loud spanners on idle and low revs, appeared suddenly yesterday with no majot incident/reason, does not occur when engine is off and coasting (well dies off then stops as the engine stops turning) and goes away when you raise the revs above 2.5/3k

XU10 gti6 engine on TBs, cam cover isnt loose and nothing rubbing on alternator belt :lol:

answers on a postcode please :lol:

Dan Ingram

Either the gigglepin has fallen out or a splodge rod is stuck.

On a serious note, sticky tappet? cracked manifold?

johnnyboy666

clutch related? does it sound differet when you press in the clutch/release it?

kate205gti

no seems to be the same when clutch it os or out - more revs related (ie: will do it on idle or as soon as revs drop below a certain point :lol:)

its not a ticking manifold noise - more like a bag of bolts :lol: and v loud!

pug_ham

Big ends?

Graham.

Baz

I know what it is!

Your car!! :lol:

No seriously, without hearing it i doubt anyone can diagnose it, although the guessing may give you ideas on what to check i suppose!

kate205gti

yars :lol: its the going away when revving it thats confusing me - just need some ideas to start with!

pug_ham
Heavy rattling or knocking noises shortly after start-up could indicate wear of the crankshaft and big-end bearings. Listen for clattering or light knocking noises from the top of the engine, which indicate camshaft wear.
Can one of you talented mechanicals assist me please? I was about to trade in my car, (Alfa Romeo 156 JTD, year 2000) when the guy took it for a test run and came back and said he could hear a knocking noise that went off when the accelerator was pushed. He later emailed my husband with the following after I had turned down what I felt was a derisory trade in offer of £1200 - "I got your e mail, just some advice i suspect the noise on your engine is the oil pump not pumping oil at tickover and the rattling is the cranckshaft / big end knocking. I think you could end up spending a small fortune having this repaired."
1- the tappets which are worn or need adjustment

2-big end bearings on the crankshaft, which are worn which give you a knocking sound

Engine noises ;

- Tapping or rattling

Incorrect valve clearances

Worn valve gear

Worn timing chain

Broken piston ring (ticking noise)

- Knocking or thumping

Unintentional mechanical contact (eg fan blades)

Worn fanbelt

Peripheral component fault (generator, water pump etc)

Worn big-end bearings (regular heavy knocking, perhaps less underload)

Worn main bearings (rumbling and knocking, perhaps worsening underload)

Piston slap (most noticeable when cold)

Heavy rattling or knocking noises shortly after start up could indicate wear of the crankshaft and big-end bearings. Listen for clattering or light knocking noises from the top of the engine which indicate camshaft wear.
question

There is a heavy knocking noise coming from the engine at certain speeds and when I accelerate. What is the problem?

answer

The big end bearings inside the motor will be worn and will need to be replaced.

Tappets make a clicking noise that increases in frequency as you raise the engine speed. If the valve clearances are set correctly and the noise persists, then further investigation by an expert is needed. Hydraulic tappets can be temperamental, making a noise that comes and goes, especially when you first start up. If the noise goes away as the engine warms up, it may be the wrong grade or even brand of oil, or it may be a small dirt particle in the oil. If the noise is present all the time, you should consult an expert.

Worn big-end bearings usually make a light knocking or pounding noise that is more noticeable when the engine is neither accelerating nor decelerating.

A couple of things to look at, might not be any of them but a starting point.

Graham.

Alastairh

After hearing it, id be very inclined to open the head up.

Sorry, i know its not what you want to hear.

Al :lol:

kate205gti

i dont mind hearing it - just want to know what im looking for in there :lol: will have to get it towed to the barn and strip it down i think :lol:

ALEX

I've had this symptom, turned out to be something really simple to fix!

Can't for the life of me remember waht it was though!

I'm not helping am I :(

dcc

maybe something in your exhaust?

on my old landrover when it idle' a wild noise liek you describe, when i revved it over 2k or so, (other than killing anyone behind the exhaust) it went away.

kate205gti

hmm.. possible! whats the easiest way to check that?

applemobile

i had a horriable rattle like that, turned out to bit the split in teh down pipe had rusted off and was sitting im my exhaust. Simpelist check is to take off your exhaust. Or remove it from teh hangars and shake it about a bit!

Rom

As has been said..could be any number of things.

To check for anything fouling the exhaust, just drop the downpipe off the manifold. It will be loud, but it will run.

If thats no good, try pin pointing it to the top or bottom end. Stethoscope aka long screwdriver will help.

When you say its revs related...is it possible the engine is loud enough to mask the noise? Or does it definately go.

You need to try and locate an area before you go any further. I had a horrible noise not so long ago, idle or moving.. Turned out to be the input shaft bearings. With the engine off and rolling it was fine, as the input shaft wasnt being spun.

returnofjim

As said earlier i would get a screwdriver to my ear and see if i can locate where the noise is coming from. As most know these engines have often been rebuilt badly, has the engine had any work or rebuilds? has the noise just started all of a sudden or has it got louder gradually? first and most common things to check for are loose spark plugs (yes this happens alot) also the vacum pump on the side of the head can make a nasty noise when its on its way out, Maybe start the engine with the alternator belt off see if the noise is still there. next things to check is timing belt, has it slipped is it loose? condition of the tensioners and water pump are also critical, if its really loud then it sounds like it could be a head and sump off and investigate. If you could get a vid showing the noise that would be helpful. Ive seen/heared a few "tappers" so would have a better idea hearing it :P

kate205gti

cheers for all the suggestions :)

ive removed the cambelt cover and alternator belt today and its still making exactly the same niose - then i removed the exhaust manifold (which was fun - not!) and same noise only much louder :)

Anthony and Baz had a look over it yesterday and listened with a socket and seemed convinced it wasnt a head noise, but a vibration noise instead - but the cambelt is firmly on and not touching anything so im not sure where to look next? kind of want to keep it running so i can tell when ive fixed the noise! so stripping the head down and finding nothing and putting it back to the same noise would be rather upsetting :(

Rom - please excuse my ignorance but what/where are input shaft bearings/the input shaft?

Edited by kate205gti

James_R

Be more inclinded at this point to whip the sump off and look at the big ends for wear.

Or you could assume it's going to be bad whatever and pull the whole lot out, makes it mucho easier to fix out the car.

Baz

It's not the bottom end, nor did it even sound internal tbh.

kate205gti

i think i was just being a plum :)

click me

the cambelt was loose and flappy when i actually turned it over and looked at it - am hoping its just tensioner issues!

cherry_red

I have just noticed a knocking noise coming from my engine at first I thought it was the exhaust fowling on the bulkhead, as I had just put on a magnex complete system, but checked it all over and its defiantly coming from the engine.

It gets worse as you increase the revs.

Sounds a bit like a tractor.

It doesn’t sound like a tappet noise though - more like deeper knock.

Does this sound like big end bearings, as it’s definitely a knocking noise - sounds a lot like a diesel on cold start.

My engine has covered 160k so was thinking if I should replace the engine as rebuilding the bottom end and replacing bearings and what not on a 160k engine seems like a lot of bother.

Any suggestions?

Sign in to follow this