• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Changing Wishbone Bushes

Tom Fenton

Wishbones. Vice. Clamp.

WishboneBushes001.jpg

Holesaw. 20 & 25mm. Duck oil. Drill.

WishboneBushes002.jpg

Bosh!

WishboneBushes003.jpg

Hacksaw. Sharp blade. Cut.

WishboneBushes004.jpg

Hammer. Chisel. Smack!

WishboneBushes005.jpg

Emery cloth. Clean.

WishboneBushes006.jpg

New bushes. Press.

WishboneBushes007.jpg

Wishbones. DONE.

WishboneBushes008.jpg

• Thanks 1

tom_m

nicely done sir! :rolleyes:

you're making it look far too easy tho!

welshpug

Nearly how I do it, I don't bother with the hacksaw, I just vent my frustrations on the lip of the sleeve with my favourite Snapon Ball-pein hammer and a nice chisel :rolleyes:

Emmy Seize

Gordon Ramsay-style?

What about the cursing? :rolleyes:

GLPoomobile

How to replace wishbone bushes - send them to Tom Fenton! (ooops, should I have said that? LOL)

Seriously Tom, I hope you know how much I appreciate you doing this for me. It's a massive favour! After having my usual garage waste my time for 2 months (that tiny bit of missing edge from one of the sleeves was all they did!), then buying all the bits to do 'the puller method' and falling flat on my face, then finding out that Motaquip no longer make new 309 wishbones.....well I'd really had enough. So thanks again.

If only I had a vice......on a workbench.

Oh, and duckoil

And a chisel

And a holesaw

Oh, and where did I leave my press?

(and sorry if I sound like a big gayer with all the thankyous)

Edited by GLPoomobile

Super Josh

Nice one Tom :lol:

then buying all the bits to do 'the puller method' and falling flat on my face,

I feel really bad about this, after suggesting that method, don't listen to any of my suggestions in the future :( I'll have to buy you a Cobra and a few poppadums at the Curry night

then finding out that Motaquip no longer make new 309 wishbones

Seriously? :rolleyes: I'd missed out on your post on this. So which ones did you go for in the end then Steve?

Josh

M@tt

Tom the only pic your missing is the one of you getting changed into your work gear with your top off like Ramsey insists on including in every program he does :rolleyes:

GLPoomobile
Tom the only pic your missing is the one of you getting changed into your work gear with your top off like Ramsey insists on including in every program he does :D

:lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed that! My wife thinks I fancy him just cos I picked up on it :rolleyes:

I feel really bad about this, after suggesting that method, don't listen to any of my suggestions in the future sad.gif I'll have to buy you a Cobra and a few poppadums at the Curry night

There's no need to feel sorry for me just because I'm a chromosome down :( . I'm sure I would have cracked it if I had a workbench and vice, and a selection of tools. But as it happened, the ones I carefully selected, and tried to make work on the bathroom floor, just didn't fit the bill.

Seriously? wacko.gif I'd missed out on your post on this. So which ones did you go for in the end then Steve?

I haven't bought new 'bones. The ones Tom has pictured are mine, and they are 2nd hand ones I got from Ant last year. But when I was getting pissed off I weighed up all the costs and figured it'd be cheaper to get new Motaquip wishbones than send mine to Tom etc. Unfortunately this plan was foiled, as after waiting 3 days for a motor factor to get my shiny new 'bones in, we found out that they were actually not on their way as Motaquip couldn't supply them. A call to Motaquip direct confirmed that they are no longer producing 309 GTI ones due to lack of demand. Hopefully 205 ones are still available, but I didn't ask.

Baz

Lol! Nice guide, haven't done any yet, but i was thinking the air chisel may come in handy for some i have to do, or would that be too much BFI?? :lol:

pug_ham

Nice guide Tom, I did one just last week but it was easier than this because the aftermarket bush had disintegrated so much the centre sleeve was already free so I just used a chisel to knock the edges in on the outer & caved it in so it pretty much fell out with a gentle tap.

I got the new (oe) bush started using a suitably sized socket & then turned the wishbone over & drove the bush fully home by hitting it on a step. :lol:

One thing to note, only buy the full kit (3599.07, £17.08 + vat) from Pug & not (like I did) individual bushes to complete another set after buying a couple seperately a while ago.

The two bushes I got to make up a full set cost me more than a full kit including bolts. :lol:

Oh well, only 8.5 wishbones to fit new bushes to sometime.

Graham.

billybluesky

great guide only wish read it before i did mine in the rain the night before the m.o.t just a note my local pug dealer (rrg elton garages) told me they didnt stock bushes for "dead models" ie old ones! partco to the rescue

Goliath

Wow, even I understood that, will be doing all mine in the next few days now!

sonofsam

Pretty much did this last week @ work! used two sockets in a vice to get the new ones in though. Storeman came running out when I was

drilling the old bushes out as I stank out the whole factory, and He thought there was a fire :lol:

The difference in driving is staggering! :blink:

Edited by sonofsam

Sign in to follow this