• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

Rev Limiters....launch Control?

Kennyb

Ok....just thought i'd ask ......how the hell do rev limiters and launch control work?

How do you work them?

Are they easy to get to work?

Whats the best/how much?

Are they worth it?

:D

Cheers guys ....... ;)

Doof

Omex rev limiters are about 70 quid from memory and just have a couple of buttons to raise or lower the limit by a hundred rpm each press. They tend to cut something like every other spark so you just lose lots of power rather than suddenly having nothing at all. Depends if its soft or hard cut.

ECU limiters are capable of cutting spark, fuel or maybe both but i presume you're not after that.

In fact, why do you need one? Do you not have one already (is this for your 2.0 turbo?).

Launch control...you see that pedal on the right, lift it up a bit when pulling away and the wheels spin less ;)

In terms of wiring, its a piece of cake, normally a couple of wires to the coil or something, instructions come with them so you can't really get it wrong.

All depends on your engine spec and ECU really.

S13Nick

ignition cut rev limiter is the way to go!!

Kennyb

:D

Just been watching a few things about quick takeoff in respect to exact same cars, one using launch control the other not......made quite a difference......still dont really understand how they work???? im guessing it limits your revs to eliminate wheel spin chances, but how does it then progress past that? is it progressive or something or do you just switch it off???? is a limiter... launch control then?

Na not for turbo project.....thinking about it really for the nitrous 1.9 running at mo......in first its a little silly with takeoff unless is a really hot sticky day :D

GTI6BOY

need to find what your max torque is (mine is 5200rpm).

my launch control is set to 5000rpm while button is pushed so as you launch you have maximum grip, then after a couple of seconds release button and away you go

boldy205

cant see launch control ever working in real life situations though as you can set it to a certain RPM to work on one surface which would not work on another surface. As in if its wet you use less throtle and in dry you can use more.

The only way it would ever really work would be on a traction control kind of setup.

Just my ideas (and the Omex bloke i talked to once agreed!!)

GTI6BOY

?????

No matter what surface your on your max torque will always be the same. If your on a wet surface then you keep the button held longer

Trust me it works on the road and on the strip. How many people are launching off the line in the wet anyway

Edited by GTI6BOY

boldy205

GTi6boy: Ah i see, but how would you know when to let go of the button and give it full revs? Just wondering as i was looking at a setup like this a while ago. I didnt meen to sound like i was being a bit funny in the last post,sorry.

Chears

Matt

GTI6BOY

just get one , its an amazing gadget and it helped me win usc 2008

just listening to you engine note lets you know when to change

pugman211

ok so how much is it then?

adamc

£85 on ebay, thats for an omex rev limiter and launch control setup, i'm buying one this week too as they look a lot of fun! :)

GTI6BOY

Mine was free as my managment has it on already you just switch it on and set the limit

adamc
Mine was free as my managment has it on already you just switch it on and set the limit

what management are you running?

MiamiGus
just get one , its an amazing gadget and it helped me win usc 2008

just listening to you engine note lets you know when to change

Not being funny but launch controll on any car no matter what wheels it's driving is just an excuse for poor driving skills and will also seriously shorten the life of the transmisson i.e diffs and driveshafts. The right launch can be had by buying a quaife diff and using a little self controll.

Only reason I say this is I have owned and driven many cars with over 300 hp and only had a problem with one (that had Hicas) when launching.

and most of the time launch controll is a piggy back of the traction controll system which needs abs rings adapted to fit anything like the 205 hubs.

Cheap methods work ok ish but a full Racelogic setup is the best but is very pricy IMO :)

Edited by MiamiGus

GTI6BOY

Lol...all the rally drivers have poor driving skills then :P

launch control is found on most group b rally cars, T16, 205 maxi ect.

I tried not using launch control and was 13.9 every time

I also run a diff and have done for 4 years with no probs (plate diff)

Grahamrally
launch control is found on most group b rally cars, T16, 205 maxi ect.

Since when did any of the 80's Group B cars have launch control? The 6r4 definately didn't, pretty sure the T16 only ever had a rev limiter and that was about it??

Launch control is very effective when used properly. Most of the things people call launch control are just lower rev limits set only for lauch via a switch or so. The more sophisticated systems run wheel sensors and sense a difference in wheel speed from the driven wheels and non driven wheels, or even ground speed, g-forces etc.

As has been said a good lsd does a lot for duff starts and grip, however you can obviously still spin the wheels wildly and leave smokey 11s rather than getting away quickly. The only problem with simple launch control is that you've gotta be careful the limit isn't too low/out the power band, that it makes the engine bog down and you ultimately end up loosing time against not using the system at all.

My advice is, if you're not great at programming ecus, using wheel sensors and lots of maths and money then dont worry about the launch control and just practice practice practice!

In terms of rev limiters, most are ignition cut and the best to have is a soft cut initially then the hard cut to really remind you to change. It can cause damage as it does send shockwaves through the whole engine assembly, but it's very minimal. You shouldn't realy ever use the limiter if you're changing properly :P

Jrod

Yep, been wanting one for a while as the rallye use valve bounce as its current rev limiter. :( Had a look and there was a bargain waiting for me! :D

GTI6BOY

Maybe not the T16 but you see what i was getting at. Launch control prob did not exist back then :(

Sign in to follow this