• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rex

Another Gti 6 Conversion

rex

Hi all,

Well, it fired yesterday :lol: Lamda is working fine an she sounds lovely. I was hoping to take it out after plumbing in the radiator only the radiator no longer fits!! I modified the front for the XU10 8v turbo conversion last year in order to drop the radiator for the intercooler, but after putting the shell back to normal, the rad is now hitting the alternator.

I have used the RS2000 engine mount (spaced 7mm) and have not had to modify the 4-1 exhaust manifold to get it all to fit. The bottom mount has had an extra 30mm aded to it.

What gives?

Regards,

Rex

Matt Holley
The bottom mount has had an extra 30mm aded to it.

Thats probably your problem, mine is close to the rad with a standard bottom mount

gti-si

30mm seems an awful lot to extend the bottom mount. This will be the reason the alternator is fowling the radiator. More seriously, I think you'll find yourself going through driveshafts like toothpicks with that level of extension

rex

The mount was extended for the turbo conversion. An besides, surely if the mount was shorter, this would push the plenum chamber further into the rad and would also further push the alternator out??

Rex

rex

OK, I took the bottom mounting off and I think you're both right. Now the master cylinder (406) is touching :lol: Also, the window I made to be able to tension the alt is now not long enough so we're back to the board again. Looks like I'm spacing the pedal-box out too...

Heh, at least the exhaust clearance is still ok :D

Thanks for the replies.

pj838

How have you set up the alternator/tensioner? Mine was a lot closer to the engine with a shorter belt and no AC/PAS...

rex

Like I said, I made a stainless steel "window" - that's what it's called in French anyway. No more belt-driven PS as it's now electric. I'll have to make another one, buy a shorter belt and go from there I guess.

I'd just been hoping to have a larger carbon footprint this evening...

Regards,

Rex

rex

Whilst I'm here, what has everyone else done for a clutch cable? Whilst I've modified the 306 cable to work, I've had to space it out so far it's infringing on the air filter space....

gti-si

Are you using the 6 box then?

rex

Yes using the 6 'box. Have been on it since 5 am - the rad and fans are in, just, but the driveshafts as for the minute are definitely not sat right.

Edited by rex

Spiky

10mm is the absolute max i'd extend the bottom arm, else your CV joints WILL knock., trust me..lol

just space out the bottom of the brake servo

and fit std engine mount ;)

job done :)

rex

Hi Spiky,

Thanks for your reply.

Have lengthened the bottom mount 8mm and have spaced the servo with two washers (around 3mm). The d/shafts look at much less of a dodgy angle, but they still don't seem perfect. Everything fits, ish, and I've just ordered another drive belt (706mm) which should hopefully allow me to tension it without the alt fouling the radiator.

What clutch cable are you using, presuming you have the '6 box?

Regards,

Rex

rex

PS, nice 205 ;)

That's what I'm aiming for.

Spiky

i run a 1.9 box, soon to be a 1.6 box :)

and cheers ;)

rex

Just been sifting through your project thread - those bottom arms are what I've been dreaming about all these years of replacing std ones every three months (well, I'd actually been considering making some aluminium ones). Where did they come from and how much??

Regards,

Rex ;)

Spiky

compbrake,

mention myh name and you may get discount.

but i cant get them to fit my car, will be modifying them a little bit soon so they do fit, keep and eye on my thread ;):)

Sign in to follow this