• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Mi Bottom Hose Combos

kyepan

Hi there,

So i've been trying to sort out the bottom hose on my MI and must admit it's not been as straight forward as I originally anticipated.

Previously had a single rubber hose going from the water distribution block to the lower rad exit, which had a brass T leading to the modine oil cooler inlet hose.

Tried buying the BX hose listed on GSF, this is one complete hose for the run from rad to distributation block, with a built in reinforced t and pipe to the Modine inlet. however this does not and I repeat NOT fit, it is too long and kinks and completely closes at the distribution block and coming off the rad. Please don't try and use this. Even when cut down it still kinks quite badly and causes the car to overheat.

The old MI used the metal 205 hose, a normal 205 rear hose and then something else on the front, this worked fine.

Just picked up a new rear and metal 205 hose, going to cut down the bx and join all three together, will report back on the result.

what other setups are people using?

J

Stu

I used all stock 205 bits, my rad had a plug on the lefthand side (looking from the front of the car) so i just got a fitting to fit this for the oil cooler return.

I'll bin this when i move over to a proper air-air cooler though.

Edited by Stu

Matt Holley

I had the set up with bx hose cut to fit the metal pipe, it needed to be tilted down at the front to lose some length as to get enough of the bx hose behind the T to clamp to the metal pipe its too long.

When I first did this my car had a differant metal pipe, no lips to bolt to the chassis and it was slightly shorter and it fitted well but then was replaced for a genuine pipe when I swapped the engine for a 6 and thats where the problem started.

I just run standard 205 hoses now and ditched the oil cooler

jackherer
Tried buying the BX hose listed on GSF, this is one complete hose for the run from rad to distributation block, with a built in reinforced t and pipe to the Modine inlet. however this does not and I repeat NOT fit, it is too long and kinks and completely closes at the distribution block and coming off the rad. Please don't try and use this. Even when cut down it still kinks quite badly and causes the car to overheat.

Is it listed for a BX 16v or a diesel? I've used the original BX 16v hose several times and they fit fine so either the GSF one is a different shape to the proper Citroen one or its not for the 16v.

kyepan
Is it listed for a BX 16v or a diesel? I've used the original BX 16v hose several times and they fit fine so either the GSF one is a different shape to the proper Citroen one or its not for the 16v.

it was a diesel, IIRC.

N17912 RAD HOSE BOTTOM BX DIESEL (WITH T PIECE) BOTTOM 17.50 Add

the 16v was not listed, and i was under the impression that they were the same... silly me.

Edited by kyepan

kyepan
it was a diesel, IIRC.

N17912 RAD HOSE BOTTOM BX DIESEL (WITH T PIECE) BOTTOM 17.50 Add

the 16v was not listed, and i was under the impression that they were the same... silly me.

further to this... the car now has a new bottom hose run comprising of.

N17912 RAD HOSE BOTTOM BX DIESEL chopped off after the t peice for the modine oil cooler.

Standard 205 gti metal hose past the pully

standard 205 rubber 90 degree turn hose to water distribution block.

the standard rear hose was difficult to get over the water distribution block, some swearing later and a touch of washing up liquid, it went on.

The shortened bx hose was even more difficult to get over the metal pipe, because of the diameter, finally figured out a method involving a very thin alan key to ramp it over the side it would not go over on... if that makes sense, then withdraw the alen key once its on all the way round....

Hope this helps anyone else

kyepan

touch wood it's running ok so far, seems to be slightly more stable temp wise. Fans cutting in and effectivly cooling on the low speed.

need a hot day and some 1st 2nd gear stuff to be completly certain.

J

jackherer

BX 16Vs have the rad and cowling far further forward than any other model of BX and so need a different hose. This was due to the long Mi16 inlet manifold getting in the way, the same as it does on a 205.

tom_m

some xu7 equipped cars have a metal bottom pipe with a t in it for the heat exchanger. i've got one in the garage that came with an xu7 engine, but i'm not sure what it came from, a 306 is the most likely candidate tho.

its slightly longer than the 205 metal pipe, but might help with the lowered rads out there.

James_R

Was a 406 I believe Mr Moody (just to add more confusion)

:lol:

tom_m

i stand corrected :lol:

Sign in to follow this