• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DjB

Cvs/drive Shafts

DjB

After searching the above topic I'm a bit confused.

I have a 1.9 8V with a BE1 gearbox. There is a clunking noise when I accelerate hard our of corners. Buggered CVs obviously. So with this in mind, I'm confused whether I get all new drive shafts or just the CVs. Also, do CVs and driveshaft differ from gearbox (BE1/BE3).

Can someone please shed some light on this for me please and point me in the direction of some decent quality replacement parts. I've tried sourcing parts in Australia but people just keep looking at me funny and quote me stupid prices. I have seen CVs on eBay for around 50 pounds, are these any good? Or are they no good.

Thanks heaps.

Chris.

welshpug

£50 for a CV sounds a bit expensive when you can get the complete shafts from GSF for not a great deal more (decent quality GKN units at that)

I don't know how much it would cost to ship a pair of shafts halfway across the world though, and there is normally a surcharge on them which is refundable upon return of the old units, obviously not worthwhile you sending your shafts back as it'll cost you more than the surcharge I'd imagine!

philfingers

inner joints are the same be1 or be3. 1.6 or 1.9. I think the outers are different between 1.9 and 1.6 models but maybe wrong.

jeremy
inner joints are the same be1 or be3. 1.6 or 1.9. I think the outers are different between 1.9 and 1.6 models but maybe wrong.

In my experience that is 100% correct.

DjB

So how do I tell which CV joints need?

Chris

Ben

Just need to know which hubs you have, 1.6 or 1.9 and then get the right CVs to match your hubs

DjB

Awesome Ben...

Thanks a heap.

Actually, is torque steer associated with buggered CVs? I only ask because my last 205 didn't torque steer like my new one.

Thanks.

Chris

Edited by DjB

jeremy

I found I had this problem with a shot whisbone bush.

DjB

Cool,

To be honest, torque steer is kind of fun, but if there is something dodgey with car, obviouslt it should be fixed.

Chris

guffe
To be honest, torque steer is kind of fun

Sorry about the offtopic, but you must be joking right?

DjB

Honestly...

No... From just a mucking around point view. But obviously if proper track work is being done, yes, its a not cool.

Chris

VisaGTi16v

On a related note. Is it possible to change the driveshafts without having to drain the gearbox oil? I know some will come out if you pull a driveshaft out of the diff but will it pour out or just a small trickle so nothing to worry about and at worst you just top it up a bit? Or does it need to be drained and the seal surfaces cleaned etc before putting the new ones in?

cheers

welshpug

Never has a driveshaft cause torque steer, shot bushes/balljoint/diff yes (not experienced shafts that badly worn though)

you'll lose about 1.5 litres if you just pull a shaft out, I don't usually bother draining the fluid unless its been leaking as the remaining half a litre or so would be in good enough condition.

If the fluid is unknown then I would drain it fully, seals are normally left alone unless a few years old.

philfingers

I always drain and refil with 2ltrs, then I'm safe in the knowledge it has enough! It's easy enough to do, I have a funnel on a long bit of pipe, easy!

VisaGTi16v

ok cheers

gti_al
After searching the above topic I'm a bit confused.

I have a 1.9 8V with a BE1 gearbox. There is a clunking noise when I accelerate hard our of corners. Buggered CVs obviously. So with this in mind, I'm confused whether I get all new drive shafts or just the CVs. Also, do CVs and driveshaft differ from gearbox (BE1/BE3).

Can someone please shed some light on this for me please and point me in the direction of some decent quality replacement parts. I've tried sourcing parts in Australia but people just keep looking at me funny and quote me stupid prices. I have seen CVs on eBay for around 50 pounds, are these any good? Or are they no good.

Thanks heaps.

Chris.

Call A1 (i think) driveshafts. They rebuild them and fit new boots cheap

DjB

The A1 Drive Shafts in America? Or is there a mob in Melbourne.

Google only came up with C&V Drive shafts in Melbourne. Are these the guys you are talking about?

Chris

gti_al

A1 Drive Shaft Repair (Vic) Pty Ltd

(03) 9417 5859

99 -101 Sackville St

Collingwood VIC 3066

0419 308 591

DjB

One last question...

Are GTI and Si driveshafts the same? Theres some 205 drive shafts on eBay and the dude selling them says Si driveshafts will work with a GTI... true or false?

Thanks again..

Chris

welshpug

what's an Si? sounds like something we didn't get in the UK!

gti_al
One last question...

Are GTI and Si driveshafts the same? Theres some 205 drive shafts on eBay and the dude selling them says Si driveshafts will work with a GTI... true or false?

Thanks again..

Chris

They are the same. I have a drivers side shaft with new boots if you want it?

DjB

PM'd

Sign in to follow this