• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Question About Fitting New Wings

smokey

Hiya guys

Been away for a while, but the car is coming along. The shell is de rusted, welded and filled, ready for painting :)

I'm about to fit some new front wings (GTI wings off Ebay) to the car and i just wanted to check i was going to do it right.

I've cleaned off all the old sealent on the wings and the shell and they now fit nicely. I've bought some Tiger Seal to seal the wings back to the shell.

Is this stuff any good?

My plan of action was to put Tiger Seal along the top of the shell where the 4 - 5 bolts are and along the edge of the wheel arch.

Then i was going to fix the wing to the car and bolt it in place. Once bolted i was then going to smooth the Tiger Seal which has been squished out and apply more Tiger seal along the the joins to make sure there were no gaps. Once its set i was then going to under seal the inside of the wheel arch and over the Tiger Seal.

Does that sound ok or is there a better way?

Thanks

welshpug

sounds about right, make sure the inside of the wings are painted as well.

miamichris

tiger seal's great stuff, my dad's a bodyworker/sprayer and he only uses it and sikaflex!

Paintguy

Tigerseal is very good stuff, but I'm not sure about using it along the top edge of the wing. Whilst it will do no harm, you'll have one hell of a job on your hands if you ever need to take the wings off again.

smokey

Cool thanks for the replies guys

I lined them up last night and i think they look ok. Think i might bolt them on first and check.

Will post some pictures up.

I think the wings might have been slightly bent when they were taken off the old cars.

Another question...

I have the bolts for the top of the wings and the clips for the side. But the bolts for the front end and the single bolt in the wheel arch were rusted to nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whats best to use?

Also on the front of the wings there is a big hole and then 3 small ones for bolts. I cant remember or look (at work)

But shouldn't there be a rubber for the bumper? Again if there was mine was knackard.

Thanks

smokey

Any help with this guys?

James Stewart
But shouldn't there be a rubber for the bumper? Again if there was mine was knackard.

Yes, there should be. Have a look on service box and you can see the fixings in the exploded diagrams.

James.

smokey
Yes, there should be. Have a look on service box and you can see the fixings in the exploded diagrams.

James.

Last time i looked on service box it was in french?!

smokey
Last time i looked on service box it was in french?!

Right forget that last comment. Made it english and have signed up.

Question is i've looked at the wing diagrams and there is no mention of the rubber section i'm talking about.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

welshpug

they're in the bumper diagrams :lol:

boombang

Along the same lines as this thread, what would anyone recommend sealing wings with if you are likely to have to remove again?

At the stage soon where the wings will be going onto the rallycar, but being realistic they may have to come off when I bend it - standard silicon sealant do the job?

steve@cornwall
Along the same lines as this thread, what would anyone recommend sealing wings with if you are likely to have to remove again?

At the stage soon where the wings will be going onto the rallycar, but being realistic they may have to come off when I bend it - standard silicon sealant do the job?

I've had a pair on my red gti for 2 years with no bonding at all - (I'll get around to taking them off to paint and tidy the wheelarch area one day :lol: )

Doesn't seem a problem at all.

Sign in to follow this