• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Coil Spring Trauma

Rupertfinch

Bit of an issue trying to fit my new front shocks (so much so that I gave up for about 2 months!).

I can seem to get the flippin things back in. If I tighten the coil springs enough then the tops of the compressors totally foul the suspension turret and won't go in. And if I don't tighten them then I can't get them to sit back in the hub. Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

If anyone has any ideas - or knows of compressors that'll get round this (I'm using Sealey's) then please let me know.

post-8711-1216716288_thumb.jpg

welshpug

put the compressors on the other way up :)

Rob Thomson

I've always fitted the spring to the strut with the strut removed from the car, and then reassembled with the spring compressors safely back in my tool box.

Are you saying that without the spring compressed you can't get the bottom of the strut back into the hole in the hub carrier?

Rupertfinch

Firstly, If I put them the other way round then I can't get access to release them from their compressed state.

Secondly, I've tried that but can't seem to get enough 'play' to get the struts back into the hub i.e. they bang off the side of the hub instead of going above and then dropping down in.

Perhaps I'd better go and 'eats me spinach' as popeye would say.

welshpug
Firstly, If I put them the other way round then I can't get access to release them from their compressed state.

err, confused with this, are you fitting them to the car before taking the compressors off??

Secondly, I've tried that but can't seem to get enough 'play' to get the struts back into the hub i.e. they bang off the side of the hub instead of going above and then dropping down in

try loosening the inner wishbone bolts, don't remember having this trouble on a 205 though, 405 certainly because the struts and springs are soooo long!

pug_ham

You can re-build the strut completely & remove the compressors before fitting the strut back onto the car, I can see why you'd have problems with them still fitted but even with standard springs you shouldn't have any problems getting the strut back into the hub once fully assembled imo.

Graham.

Rupertfinch

I think I'm being a pansy - need to use a bit more raw strength me thinks. Will update later.

miamichris

i'm with pugtorque's advice mate, build the strut off the car then fit it all back on as a complete unit..thats what i've always done! compressors don't need to be on when you're putting it back onto the car so they should'nt be fouling anything :D

Rupertfinch

Apologies for being a tit.

Mark

KRISKARRERA

Had the same problem on my 405, and on trhe 405 they have to be compressed to get the strut back in hub.

miamichris
Apologies for being a tit.

Mark

:D happens to the best of us pal!

Rupertfinch

Well chaps, we all love a happy ending. Did I get one? Hmmmm

Using the 'stop being a nancy and give it some rice' approach (and my old man's help) I managed to successfully fit the nsf shock (OE bilsteins, Skip brown springs, SKF bearings and BBM fast road top mounts mmmmmm). Nearly wet myself with excitement at how well it went. Even considered driving her up and down the street in celebration! But thought better of it.

Then I figured, lets have a go at the drivers side, we know what we're doing now. Oh super! Hub carrier pinch bolt is jammed/wedged/bonded to the hub carrier minus the nut - that looks to have sheared off. Will it release? No. Plusgas? No. Drifting it out? No. BFH? No.

Aaaahh! Reattach the wheel. It's off to my mechanic - he loves me, I pay his mortgage. Might as well give him new TRE's, and a full beam refurb while I'm at it. See you several hundred quid later...

pug_ham

Don't do it, if you have a decent metal punch & club hammer you can get the remains of the bolt out with a little hammering if you leave it to soak in plus gas over night.

Cut the end of the bolt flush with the hub (or as near as you can) & with the car securely on an axle stand use the punch (as close to the size of the bolt as possible imo) to drive the reamins out.

It might take some welly but it should move eventually.

Thats all your mechanic will do imo except he might use some heat but that shouldn't be needed imo.

Graham.

welshpug

if you haven't got one already invest in a decent hammer, something like a 32oz Ball Pein hammer makes hitting stuff so much more effective.

it annoys me greatly to see a claw hammer in an automotive toolbox!!

niklas
something like a 32oz Ball Pein hammer makes hitting stuff so much more effective.

I prefer the sledge hammer

150216_lg.jpg

:lol::)

Rupertfinch

And so it continues...

Now, I have managed to extract the drivers side strut and all associated gubbins. However, no matter how many different combinations of drifts I tried, I could not get the hub pinch bolt to move. It was holding on to horrid Spax dampers and I've a feeling that whoever put these on in the first place really did a bodge job.

Firstly, the bolt is the 'wrong way round' on the hub carrier - according to autodata manual - that's why I couldn't get a socket or spanner to grip it's head. Secondly it's fully threaded and most probably the wrong size! So, I took a hacksaw to the bolt and managed to split it in the middle - Allowing me to open the hubcarrier to get the strut out.

Now I'm left with 2 parts of a rusty bolt jamming up my hubcarriers. Any solutions would be greatfully appreciated.

pacey205

Plusgas, blowtorch, a drift and a big hammer (not necessarily in that order :lol:)

miamichris

^^^^^^ what he said! if that doesnt work then....try a bigger hammer :lol: having the hub off the car and in a vice would make life easier, but i've the same problem with my hubs, both sides! I have my hubs off so im hoping its easier anyway.. :huh:

Sign in to follow this