• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tombo

How To Build A 2.1 Gti6

tombo

hello, i seen that you can uprate the engine capacity on the cast block mi16s by using a different crank, can this be done on the GTI6?

thanks

NeilGTi85
hello, i seen that you can uprate the engine capacity on the cast block mi16s by using a different crank, can this be done on the GTI6?

thanks

I think it can be done by using a diesel crank....

Neil

16v205

Mines a 2140cc gti-6 using a 88mm mi16 crank and 88mm pistons. I am really happy with the results but more so how quickly the thing revs.

Rich

tombo

hey mate, what pistons are they out of? or are they some kind of aftermarket forged pistons, did you have to open up the bore of the cylinders?

thanks

carbers205

If you want anything bigger than the standard 86mm pistons you will need custom ones.

You can get a whole range of capacities by changing the crank/piston combo, each with varying performance increase and expense.

The diesel (88mm) crank with standard pistons gives 2045cc, same crank with 87mm gives 2088cc and with 88mm gives 2140cc. In order to fit the bigger pistons you will need the cylinders rebored. Some people arent happy with a 2mm overbore due to making the walls thinner but equally other people arent as concerned!

If you want more than 2140cc then you can also get 92 and 96mm cranks from other peugeot engines but you'll need to get much less deep pistons than standard.

Even with the 88mm crank you'd need to take around 1mm off the top to avoid valve/piston contact, least thats what I found on my xsi (2.0 8v).

I personally have just stuck with the 86 bore and 88 stroke to give a little added capacity but minimal expense and am really impressed at the added torque it has given.

Andy

tombo

do you have any torque figure results from increasing the capacity to 2045cc? i would imagine that the power would be smoother but the difference to a standard gti6 minimal? would i need to change the big ends and mains? to suit the bigger crank?

tombo

Alan_M

Read the sticky topic at the top of this section regarding increasing capacity of an Mi. Mi and GTi6 blocks are similar.

tombo

does anyone know the best pistons forged pistons to get that are 88mm? and how much im looking at realistically?

carbers205

Tombo I havent taken any power/torque figures with the new setup yet but it def feels stronger.

I believe the journals are all the same diameter though I got the crank reground for safety so ended up using +0.3mm bearings. You will need to use the diesel thrust bearings though as the standard ones are too thin. I know someone who used the diesel main, conrod AND thrust bearings though.

As far as pistons are concerned you're looking between £350 and 400 for a set, Wiseco, JE and Wossner are some of the names that spring to mind. Take a look at some of the projects on here, I know some of the guys rate some manufacturers higher than others!

easypug
Mines a 2140cc gti-6 using a 88mm mi16 crank and 88mm pistons. I am really happy with the results but more so how quickly the thing revs.

Rich

Did you build this engine your self? Only questions I have is are these off the shelf pistons and have you used standard rods?

M@tt

nice find james.

it's shame he had to go with forged rods in the end (due too too much float) instead of the 300zx ones as it would have been a great simple cheap source of uprade

James_R

Not had a chance to look in to it at all yet, but I was wonder if you use an 86 or 88mm crank would be able to use s16 rods, but I haven't looked to see the pin size of the 300ZX small ends etc... Be handy for anyone rebuilding a GTi-6 or s16 since cast bigger bore pistons aren't available, somthing I'm looking at in the future.

*edit*

Qucik hunt on the wossner site broght up this info;

post-6092-1216895685.jpg

Edited by James_R

16v205
hey mate, what pistons are they out of? or are they some kind of aftermarket forged pistons, did you have to open up the bore of the cylinders?

thanks

There custom made Wossner pistons. The cylinders are bored to 88mm.

16v205
Did you build this engine your self? Only questions I have is are these off the shelf pistons and have you used standard rods?

Yeah I spec'd and built the engine myself, im using standard gti-6 rods as they were the longest I could find.

The machine work was out of our hands unfortunatly as we (read as my dad) havn't access to the machinery anymore.

Ive posted details as I was doing it here Clicky

TB_205GTI

You can also use the EW12 crank in the XU with some modifications. It should be a lot easier to find than an old diesel crank :)

Mandic

But that one is 96mm and has teeth on one of the web to run balancer shafts.

Cheers

Ziga

TB_205GTI

Cheers

Ziga

I didn't say it was a straight swap - I said with some modifications ;)

B1ack_Mi16

Cheers

Ziga

Not all of them has teeth for balancershafts, I think early 2.2 petrol ones have normal webs, as I believe hilgert has one of these cranks lying around.

Mandic

Yeah, correct, very early 406 diesel engines and very late 607 petrol engines have normal webs, but there are only a few out there, so hard to source out.

Cheers

Ziga

Edited by Mandic

weejimmy

i have a extra crank from a 306 dt which is 88mm stroke and been used for a 2045 conversion if u want it. (not the actull crank i have but someone has used a dt crank before )

Edited by weejimmy

tombo

if its suitable, how much would you want for it mate?

weejimmy

£35 deliverd?

it was out a car that the head gasket went on, the crank was fine thoe

pm me if you want it.

ta

Sign in to follow this