• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Headling

Garret T28 Turbos, Few Q's

Headling

Hi Guys, I have a feeling my turbo is on the way out and starting to look into an upgrade and have a few questions.

Will a T28 go on the std manifold or do i have to buy a TT one?

Is it worth getting the std T25 re built/ upgraded? and roughly what does a re furb cost?

Is this type of turbo ok? just wanted to check what flange i need?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-NISSAN-200SX-S14...p3286.m14.l1318

look forward to your comments!

S13Nick

you would have to buy a tt manifold as the the oe turbo fitment is completely different,

04062008061.jpg

Apparently a t28 doesnt fit ive been told, apparently u need a servo less pedal box, ahh who needs brakes :D

whizzer71

They do fit,weve done it and with servo and bigger M/C !!,You will need a TT manifold though and a few other odds n' ends.

I can give you a No. of a guy that would supply you with a decent unit prob better quality than the one shown on that link

:blink:

Edited by whizzer71

Alastairh
They do fit,weve done it and with servo and bigger M/C !!,You will need a TT manifold though and a few other odds n' ends.

I can give you a No. of a guy that would supply you with a decent unit prob better quality than the one shown on that link

:blink:

Thats good to hear. Just under taking a XU9/10 hybrid with a 28 on the back for a mate.

The same mate has a very healthy T25 bolted to a genuine healthy TT manifold which is no longer required if you would like me to find out what he would want for it?

Al

Edited by Alastairh

sonofsam

Tris, what's the A/R of the T28 that you have fitted? :blink:

whizzer71
Tris, what's the A/R of the T28 that you have fitted? :lol:

.63 absolutely brilliant while it lasted poxy replicas !,We are having it rebuilt at the mo with genuine Garrett internals so hopefully itll last a bit longer this time !,that was the most expensive 27 miles ever !

Tris

:lol:

Headling

Well after waying up a few ideas and counting the pennies! i have come up with a cunning plan and wanted to run it past you guys to see what you think.

Spoke to Turbo Dynamics and the Turbo centre about my smokey T25, they suggested a re build and seals, this will be about £150-180 so not too bad, then they went onto talk about upgrades for the turbo, they suggested a few options but it seemed a bit of machining and fitting a T28 compresser wheel, this will be a further £200 to upgrade the internals.

So it seems this is a cheaper route than TT manifold,T28 etc.

Have any of you guys dealt with the above comanys?

Is it worth upgrading the T25? they say I should get around 200-230 bhp with upgrades? but i cant afford an aftermarket ECU so is it best to go with a mod T25, saab injectors and run it at a bar of boost?

Will the ECU learn to use saab red injectors?

Will it need a different acctuator?

whizzer71
Well after waying up a few ideas and counting the pennies! i have come up with a cunning plan and wanted to run it past you guys to see what you think.

Spoke to Turbo Dynamics and the Turbo centre about my smokey T25, they suggested a re build and seals, this will be about £150-180 so not too bad, then they went onto talk about upgrades for the turbo, they suggested a few options but it seemed a bit of machining and fitting a T28 compresser wheel, this will be a further £200 to upgrade the internals.

So it seems this is a cheaper route than TT manifold,T28 etc.

Have any of you guys dealt with the above comanys?

Is it worth upgrading the T25? they say I should get around 200-230 bhp with upgrades? but i cant afford an aftermarket ECU so is it best to go with a mod T25, saab injectors and run it at a bar of boost?

Will the ECU learn to use saab red injectors?

Will it need a different acctuator?

You will deffo need aftermarket management with bigger turbo !,Best route is TT manifold and a T25 fella and then management later on,you can pick them up cheap 2nd hand I paid £100 for mine and £120 for a rebuilt T25 which had a T3 exhaust housing,I then got a T2 Exhaust housing from a 200SX Nissan bobs your uncle etc etc.

That std exhaust manifold is such a restrictive abortion of a thing you may as well not bother rather than spend ££££'s on modifying a turbo to bolt onto it,We noticed an imediate change in power delivery by fitting TT manifold even with a knackered T25 !,far more willing to rev and quicker spool time !,Theres plenty of good 2nd hand T 25's out there from Pulsars and 200SX owners that have Upgraded to T28's take a look on their owners club forums !

Good luck !

Tris

Alastairh

Personally i would just get them to refurb it as a standard turbo. Save the cash and put that towards proper management.

You'll get alot better gain that way even with the std management, plus lots of other driveability, reliability benefits.

Al

Edited by Alastairh

Headling

thanks for the advice guys, I will just go for a standard re build then a TT manifold, I may get the dremel out on the std manifold to open it up a bit and see if I can get it flowing a bit better.

If any one has a TT manifold for sale PM me.

Alastairh

Paul at 205parts does very good replicas that also have strengthening built in them over the standard TT item.

There has been known good results from these and around the £200 mark new.

Al :)

Edited by Alastairh

Headling

will my std t25 fit the TT manifold or do I have to buy a T28?

sonofsam
will my std t25 fit the TT manifold or do I have to buy a T28?

No mate, standard 2.0L turbo unit will not fit TT manifold because of the weird flange on the 2.0l turbo unit!

Headling

ah ok! so it looks like im going to keep the std turbo and get it re built, and attack my manifold with my dremel! run it at 1 bar then save up for a T28 and a TT manifold and aftermarket ECU.

Rob Turbo

On my 2.0 turbo engine I've got a modified standard turbo, it's got a .60 compressor wheel and A/R 80 compressor housing, I'd say you'd struggle to get the A/R 80 housing on in a 205, it's rather large! It makes 15psi easily and will do more with ease if you get the fueling/ecu sorted.

Mine made 198.8bhp and 205 ft/lb on the rollers (at the fly, around 175bhp @ wheels) with standard internals, a front mount intercooler, 2.5" exhaust with only a back box and running at about 10-11psi boost, since turned up to 15psi, I'll be getting it re tested once I get round to fitting the new cam (which will be after I get the car back to looking standard).

The turbo upgrade cost £110 inc. housing, wheel, bearings and seals, I did the machining of the turbo core to fit the wheel myself but the bloke that sold me the bits told me he can get it done for about £40, the rebuild I did myself and it's still going strong a few thousand miles later.

sounds of silence

aet turbos built my t28 hybrid and has been spot on

Sign in to follow this