• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Turbloide2

Diff Info

Turbloide2

Hi all ive replaced and uprated nearly everything on my mi16 ive still got the engine and new gearbox out now im wondering should i get a diff for it ?

The engine spec is - 1.9mi16, new twin carbs, manifold, and induction and gear box is a be3 1.6

How hard is it to fit a new diff ?

How much difference is it going to make ?

Ive seen the for £500 is this going to be money well spent.

I had one in my mk3 fiesta 2.0 zetec running a rst s1 box with a diff and that was very good just want to make sure its worth it in the 205 :)

Cheers

Danny

NeilGTi85
Hi all ive replaced and uprated nearly everything on my mi16 ive still got the engine and new gearbox out now im wondering should i get a diff for it ?

The engine spec is - 1.9mi16, new twin carbs, manifold, and induction and gear box is a be3 1.6

How hard is it to fit a new diff ?

How much difference is it going to make ?

Ive seen the for £500 is this going to be money well spent.

I had one in my mk3 fiesta 2.0 zetec running a rst s1 box with a diff and that was very good just want to make sure its worth it in the 205 :)

Cheers

Danny

Ive got lsd on my gti6 205.....I've only done one Hill climb so far at Pugfest (Prescott Hill) and it did make a massive diffrence in the cornering.

Edited by NeilGTi85

Super Josh

One of the best mods that I've performed on my car, which is a maily road going Mi. Definately worth it.

Josh

RonnieG

Yup huge benefit both in terms of handling as well as being able to get the power down....

I'm currently running two 205's - One Mi16'd for purely track days and one for off-road Autocross type events and I've ended up fitting a plated tran-x diff to both as they just make such an improvement !!

While you have the gearbox out they're really easy to fit too.....

Cameron

Just to add to this, would most people recommend a plate diff over an ATB? I know plate diffs aren't quite as fit and forget but just how much maintenance do they need? Finally, what make of diff would people recommend?

philfingers

I ran a TranX in my road rally 309 for 10k miles and about 12-15 events with no issues. They clunk and click and (read all the threads!) but they work great. Never driven a Quaiife but most folk say for rally use go with Tran X. There have been some QA issues with them. Have a look on the forum at www.britishrally.com for info

Phil

GTI6BOY

Plate diffs dont make any noises if the right oil is used and i have had mine in for 4 years and is still going strong

One of the best mods by far

RonnieG

The issue of plate vs ATB diffs has definitely been covered quite a bit now and most recommendations seem to go for the plate diffs as in this previous link ;

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...3&hl=quaife

Out of the plate diffs there don't seem to be any bad ones but Tran-X & Kaaz are probably the most popular.

On the maintenenance front - I believe the amount of maintenance plate diffs are supposed to require is exaggerated. I dismantled the 2 Tran-X plated diffs I bought this year - The first was second hand, approx 2 years old was estimated to have done approx 15K road miles, around 20 trackdays and had never been previously taken apart. I then bought another brand new Tran-X which I had to dismantle to change the plate configuration and ramp angles to the stiffest setting. On comparing the internal components in the 2 diffs the level of wear in the used one was absolutely negligible - Almost magnifying glass type stuff.....

Edited by RonnieG

Miles

The other thing people are forgetting is the std Diff's tend to go pop and leave nice big drain holes in the box, So fitting a Diff will give you 2 thing's of a stronger box and better traction.

I only use Tran X now, I did use Gripper but getting hold of him was a nightmare, All the time's I've used Tran X I've had the diff back within a week

Cameron

Cool, thanks for the links and info. :)

Turbloide2

Thanks for the info peeps ile get one orded :)

Any suggestions on were is best to get one from ?

RonnieG

The prices for new Tran-X's don't seem to vary that much from about £650 - £700 once you've paid your Vat etc & delivered. There's one on Ebay just now Item No 200220256387.

The new Kaaz diffs tend to be slightly cheaper at around £600 total delivered -

http://www.southwestmotorsport.com/shop/in...products_id=945

Second hand I would say the Quaife ATB's go for about £350 - £400 and the Tran-X's from £400 - £450. Haven't seen many Kaaz's second hand but probably around the £400 mark.

Whilst looking for mine second hand diffs felt like waiting for a bus - None for a few months then 2/3 for sale at once.....

I kept an eye out on this forum, the Gti6 forum, rallyusedparts site as well as the 'bay'

philfingers

www.205cup.com/forum is also worth keeping an eye on

Miles

I'm just about to order up a Tran X, Can do them allot cheaper than those prices

oli-pug

How cheap is cheaper Miles?

GTI6BOY

kaaz diffs are £450 delivered

Miles

£585.00 each delivered if I can get 2 or more at the same time

philfingers

that's a fair price, can't grumble at that. paid £430 for mine new (but s/h, never had bearings fitted to it) 5 years ago, so £585 new is good

Sign in to follow this