• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tommer

Buypartsby Wishbones 205/309

Tommer

Hey Gang,

quick question with regarding to wishbones from Buypartsby.

I am going to buy the 309 ones to replace my MOT failure 205 ones, and eventually do the rear beam too!

just noticed that the 309 gti ones are £30.24 each and the 205 gti ones are £39.95 each

205 price 309 Price

pricing error? if so i'm ordering mine now!

what you reckon?

tommer

welshpug

general consensus seems to be that the balljoints are of reasonable quality but worth changing the bushes for original ones from Peugeot that come in a kit for circa £18-£20.

Jrod

When I bought 309 TCAs they were cheaper aswell, £5 each! :)

Tommer

that's it mind made up, definatly going to for the 309 ones!

is there anywhere cheaper than buypartsby, I have searched a few and they seem to be the best I can find. still need to check with GSF and quantock autoparts.

any other suggestions of who i should check prices with?

cheers

M@tt

i echo WP comments i've just had first hand experience of that issue.

Bought the wishbones from buypartsby.com but the bushes didn't last more than a couple of thousand miles (the drivers side front one failed) so i bought and fitted one of those genuine peugeot kits. best off doing it before you fit the wishbones on the car as it saves them coming off a second time when they eventually fail.

EDIT> I foudn buypartsby were the cheapest place around to get them even takign into acount postage ontop. My local motor factors who are usually really cheap couldn't beat them

Edited by M@tt

welshpug

I'll be needing a pair very soon, the £79.88 delivered price is the best I've found so far, though I have got a price from neat Auto's that isn't too much more, just waiting to find out what manufacture they are and the exact price.

GSF is about £75 ea, and my local QH stockist were just under the £100 at trade for a pair.

Edited by welshpug

Rob Thomson

I bought some 205 arms from Buypartsby quite recently, and had the bushes swapped before fitting them.

The chap at the local garage who swapped the bushes for me took it upon himself to cut open one of the 'old' bushes. They were shockingly crude, with big voids in the rubber and with the intermediate metal sleeve about as far from being concentric within the bush as is possible. Definitely worth getting them swapped for the proper ones from Pug.

Tommer

just ordered my wishbones! £79.88 as mentioned earlier :)

anyone have to hand the part numbers for the bushes from Peugeot or are there other recommended ones?

ill get them ordered today too :)

cheers

tommer

Fox

I noticed this the other day, a few months ago the 205 items were around the £50 mark.

Do you not have to swap shafts to fit the 309 arms?

Tommer

I spent ages reading through post abouts swapping the shafts on here last night, and came to the conclusion I woulnd't bother until a ) I can afford it as its not essential B ) the current ones die c ) the car is going to be used on the road (on the driveway at the mo in bits again).

there were lots of arguements for swapping them and lots for not.

the general concensus i could work out was that they were ok unswapped as long as you weren't racing round like a loon and doing lots of hard cornering.

but I will definatly swap them at some point :)

Edited by Tommer

Jrod

I've not swapped the long one as its bolted in so isn't going anywhere, if it starts knocking I will but not until then.

Tommer

my thoughts exactly, seems to be the same opinion for most of the articled on it i reads last night

Tommer

unbelievable, ordered the wishbones yesterday, they were on my desk in my office when i got in this morning!

also ordered some poly bushes from ebay, they arrived at my house this morninb before i left for work!!

amazing!

Buypartsby get my vote!

Super Josh

So how muchdifference in price for Buypartsbuy cheapo 306 wishbones, Pug bush kit, shipping compared to buying Motaquip 309 wishbones from a local factors without the need to change the bushes or pay for shipping?

Josh

Tommer

good question, my local GSF didn't stock the wishbones or the bushes, my nearest factors were about £12 more expensive per wishbone and they werent motoquip ones and I didn't even go near peugeot. quantock autoparts didnt stock the WBs either.

the bushes on the wishbones look ok i reckon and would be fine in my opinion (part of me is tempted to leave them as is and put the poly ones in when the rubber ones die).

wishbones 79.88 delivered (next day)

poly bushs £30.45 delivered (next day)

so 110 all in pretty much, I'm quite happy, its a damn site cheaper than pug! :)

Super Josh
So how much difference in price for Buypartsbuy cheapo 306 wishbones, Pug bush kit, shipping compared to buying Motaquip 309 wishbones from a local factors without the need to change the bushes or pay for shipping?

Josh

DOH, Obviously I meant 309 'Bones :)

Josh

oli-pug

I bought a pair of 309 wishbones from buypartsbuy last May and i've not had any issues with the bushes at all. They've done 4 trackdays and approx 10k miles and seem good still.

The ones i got were in QH (Quinton Hazell) packaging too.

GLPoomobile
So how muchdifference in price for Buypartsbuy cheapo 306 wishbones, Pug bush kit, shipping compared to buying Motaquip 309 wishbones from a local factors without the need to change the bushes or pay for shipping?

Josh

If, for example, I had chosen to get BPB wishbones and replace the bushes, this is how the costs would have stacked up (based on costs incurred in doing the bushes on my 2nd hand 'bones)

309 wishbones - £79.88

OE bush kit - £20.xx (can't remember to the penny)

Studding, washers and nuts for puller - £15.xx

44mm socket for puller - £11 (on the cheap)

My time - estimate it takes me at least one hour, and that my time is worth £15 per hour (low self worth :D ) - £15

Total - £140.98

Motaquip 309 wishbones (OE standard so no need to replace bushes) - circa £120-£140 for a pair

My opinion (based not on personal experience, but of those that I respect to provide a trustworthy opinion of Motaquip bushes) is that it's better to find a local motorfactor who can source Motaquip wishbones for around the £60 each mark, and save yourself the hassle of replacing the bushes.

pug_ham
anyone have to hand the part numbers for the bushes from Peugeot or are there other recommended ones?

The genuine Peugeot wishbone bush kit part number is 3599.07. The kit has the bushes for both front wishbiones, along with new nuts & bolts.

Which poly bushes did you get (what colour)? TBH polybushes are much (if any) better than the proper oe bushes & they are often longer lasting.

Graham.

Rupertfinch

For those interested (although this is already posted on GLPoomobiles thread on Motaquip wishbones) my local Motaquip (PSA company) stockist has quoted me £65 +vat = £76 ish for a pair 309 GTi wishbones, these include the bushes as previously outlined on this thread.

If you can't get near a Motaquip dealer then PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Mark.

Sign in to follow this