• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JonnyB

Xsi 16v Conversion - Is It Worth It?

JonnyB

I am looking to replace the existing 1.9 engine with a 16 valver. The current lump has now done over 204,000 miles!

I have been looking for Mi16 for sensible money and have found a neighbour with an MOT failed 306 XSI 16v (137bhp)

I have done search, but what are the best mods for a daily driver?

- Exhaust Manifold (S16 or Mi16 or GTi6?)

- Inlet manifold (S16 or Mi16 or GTi6?)

- Remove Cat?

Looking for around 150bhp+

Thanks

J

G Reg 205 1.9 GTI

welshpug

- Exhaust Manifold (GTi6) S/Mi16 port shape doesn't match.

- Inlet manifold (GTi6) best of the lot, short of throttle bodies.

- Remove Cat YUP!

add to that some PeterT reground cams and you could be looking at more than gti6 power, limitations being the ECU and Injectors.

good source of a cheap engine if you don't mind swapping a few parts.

JonnyB

Sounds like a need to look for an S16 head then so I can use the exhaust manifold.

Plus an ECU and bigger injectors

What are the injectors limited to on an XSI?

Are there any other easy tuning tips? K&N.

Thanks

J

Miles

I'd say no, By the time you;ve mucked around with it you;ve wished you had just bought a 6 engine with the Better ECU and already mapped to suit 167bhp.

You'll also have the lower compression piston's.

When you think GTi6 parts fetch fair money, Like the Inlet and T/B, Exhaust manifold would set you back around £150.00, set of 6 cam's, £30.00 and a remap is around the £400.00 mark you'll see what I mean.

danpug

If you are going to run it as a standard engine i'd say go for it, probably be as quick as the average mi16 nowadays and really nice and driveable engines with plenty of low down grunt.

JonnyB

Found an XSI 16v 72k engine plus gearbox, loom and ecu for £260 - is this a good price?

Is removing the loom fairly simple or is there anything else I need to look for?

Is there anything else I need for the conversion?

Thanks

J

dcc
Found an XSI 16v 72k engine plus gearbox, loom and ecu for £260 - is this a good price?

Is removing the loom fairly simple or is there anything else I need to look for?

Is there anything else I need for the conversion?

Thanks

J

ive bought 2 mi16' engine in the last 4 months, 110k on the clock of one and that went for £310 still running in the 405 (bought the whole car), the second i paid £200 for and was told it was 82k on the clock. the first is now in a rally spec car and running. still trying to get this new one running in my 205.

JonnyB
ive bought 2 mi16' engine in the last 4 months, 110k on the clock of one and that went for £310 still running in the 405 (bought the whole car), the second i paid £200 for and was told it was 82k on the clock. the first is now in a rally spec car and running. still trying to get this new one running in my 205.

You were very fortunate

Gti6 engines seem to be £400+

Mi16 £200 and need a rebuild

Turbos - £350 +

£260 for the XSI lump seem reasonable but would have prefered the whole car. I think I can use the brakes as well = 266mm discs? Can I use the gearbox?

Not sure about the wheels though

J

welshpug

gearbox and wheels will fit fine, brakes will if its a 1.9.

you'll need to swap a selector arm from the original gearbox to the new one IIRC

petert

Other than the cams, I personally don't think there's too much wrong with the XSi (XU10J4R) engine. Aren't they 10.4:1? I'd certainly consider swapping to the GTi6 inlet and exhaust manifolds.

Peetypug

i've got a xsi engine on ebay right now, its got an unlocked ecu, gti6 exhaust manifold and the loom is already converted for the 205. You'll just need to sort out your coolant hoses as i'm using the ones on it for my 6 conversion.

JonnyB
i've got a xsi engine on ebay right now, its got an unlocked ecu, gti6 exhaust manifold and the loom is already converted for the 205. You'll just need to sort out your coolant hoses as i'm using the ones on it for my 6 conversion.

Thanks, but I am looking for something closer to home. Good luck with the sale

J

Edited by JonnyB

danpug

Pete's is a bargain with the converted loom, 6 mani and unlocked ecu. 99.9% of these engines have locked ecu's so a good 'un is worth travelling for. :blink:

Peetypug

thanks dan

I bought the car as a run around while i was doing the 6 conversion, but then decided to use parts of it to put mine back to standard looking. From the drive i've had of it its a very responsive engine and a cheap bhp upgrade for the 1.6

If i wasn't doing the 6 conversion then i'd be more than happy with the power that this is putting out

Pete

danpug

If you were a bit closer i'd be tempted myself!

Peetypug

i'm not even bothered if i dont sell it, it'll come in handy if my 6 engine needs taking out or if my 306 engine gives up the ghost.

Sorry for the semi hijack, good luck finding an engine jonnyb

S13Nick

coudent you just get a gti-6 exhuast manifold and inlet manifold, cams, ecu and injectors.....

or just get a gti-6

Doof

Don't waste your time, just get a good '6 engine and enjoy it. You can spend an awful lot of money rebuilding and swapping parts, just get the '6 engine and stick it in then drive the thing...yet another person speaking from experience :lol:

Sign in to follow this