• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
S13Nick

Xu10j2te Block + Gti-6 Head =

S13Nick

i have come across this in another post, i was just wondering, does it actually work? as i thought id ask before i go out and buy one

any info will be really appreciated thanks

guffe

What would be gained with this?

The block should be somewhat the same, but the pistons are for 8v and are totally different than 16v pistons. There are no valve reliefs and the dish shape is completely wrong for 16v head.

edit: typos...

Edited by guffe

S13Nick

yea but if i were to re-build with forged custom pistons etc, all i want to know is if there oil/water gallery's match up

guffe

Correct if I' wrong but IMHO oil/water ways are same in all XU's, iron and alloy.

Hilgie

@guffe: the T16 is a 16 valve engine as well and has no valve cutouts whatsoever. Plain flat pistons. But because it has (needs!) a low compression ratio, the piston sits low in the bore and therefore will never touch the valves.

So yeah...GTi6 head does fit a 2.0T bottom end. Only some modification on the timing belt side of things is required. You need to fit everything (tensioners, belt, crank pulley) from the GTi6.

tom_m

where did my post go, i swear i replied to this yesterday?

S13Nick
@guffe: the T16 is a 16 valve engine as well and has no valve cutouts whatsoever. Plain flat pistons. But because it has (needs!) a low compression ratio, the piston sits low in the bore and therefore will never touch the valves.

So yeah...GTi6 head does fit a 2.0T bottom end. Only some modification on the timing belt side of things is required. You need to fit everything (tensioners, belt, crank pulley) from the GTi6.

have you done this conversion as i see in your signature bit cti T16, if so i would appreciate it if u could gone into detail abit more would appreciate it

thanks alot

nick

tom_m
have you done this conversion as i see in your signature bit cti T16, if so i would appreciate it if u could gone into detail abit more would appreciate it

thanks alot

nick

hilgie's t 16 is a proper t16 motor, not a home brew head swap job

S13Nick

right so im guessing for the build, gti-6 low compression pistons and rods, will the rod fit on the xu10j2te crank?

and what is need for the cam belt as a tensioner needs to be added

thanks

cybernck

if you're going for low compression forged pistons, simply start with a full GTI-6 engine then :).

S13Nick

nah i want to do something different and considering i all ready have the block etc i may aswell, if my friend decides to sell his mi16 then ill go that rote but at the moment ive got my heart set on this

guffe

I'm don't know the clearances between head and pistons on J4TE or J2TE, and the guestion was about J4RS head. But the point that I tried to make was that the 8 valve version's piston shape won't do any good for the flow as it is designed to work with 8 valver head.

But does this matter at all if the engine is going to have 200 or 250 bhp is another case...

sonofsam

I thought the whole idea of the (Xu10j2te Block + Gti-6 Head ) was to retain the standard Xu10j2te pistons :)

tom_m
I'm don't know the clearances between head and pistons on J4TE or J2TE, and the guestion was about J4RS head. But the point that I tried to make was that the 8 valve version's piston shape won't do any good for the flow as it is designed to work with 8 valver head.

But does this matter at all if the engine is going to have 200 or 250 bhp is another case...

well as i said in my post that disappeared if you've got the rgy xu10j2t 8v the pistons are flat topped and far enough down the bores not to interfere with the valves on a xu10j4rs head.

but if you're going to build it with new pistons why don't you buy Sam's forgies. they're designed for an xu10 16v turbo.

S13Nick

will i need 88mm pistons? is that the size i need to allow to match up with the gti-6 head??, is the block gunna cope with that much of a re-bore??

thanks

tom_m
will i need 88mm pistons? is that the size i need to allow to match up with the gti-6 head??, is the block gunna cope with that much of a re-bore??

thanks

well the pistons sam is selling are for an 87mm bore and give 9:1 with a 6 head and an 88mm crank (or 8:1ish if you stick with the oe 86mm crank). apparently the turbo blocks wear a lot, so an over bore is recomended, bit you don't NEED 88mm no.

the gti6 is 86mm bore as standard same as the turbo.

you could try searching, all off these points and more have been covered in a number of threads.

S13Nick

so an 8:1 ratio is low enough to run what sort of boost?

thank you for all this information much appreciated

all i have to work out now is the belt tensioner's any ideas?

B1ack_Mi16

I would guess 8:1 could do 2.5 bar no problem.

My mate used to run his 9.2:1 on 2.1 bar, though this was a squish optimised engine and not a squish-less one as the standard T16 setup¨.

S13Nick

what do u mean by squish optimized???

guffe

The squish clearance is optimal for that the squish area combustion is controlled and doesn't inflict detonation.

guffe
well as i said in my post that disappeared if you've got the rgy xu10j2t 8v the pistons are flat topped and far enough down the bores not to interfere with the valves on a xu10j4rs head.

I had an impression in my mind that the J2T pistons had similiar shape than other 8 valvers.. :) sorry 'bout that.

tom_m
I had an impression in my mind that the J2T pistons had similiar shape than other 8 valvers.. :blink: sorry 'bout that.

the rgx j2t does have a shallow dish in its pistons and runs a slightly higher CR of 8.5:1

craig f90
I thought the whole idea of the (Xu10j2te Block + Gti-6 Head ) was to retain the standard Xu10j2te pistons :)

Ive read that too. I was under the impression that you had to swap the tensioners/pulleys for the timing belt. Add a suitable manifold, turbo and managment. Looks like we're wrong sam? :D:P

S13Nick

all im on about is the block and head, i didnt mention anything about internals!!!!!!

Sign in to follow this